A New Perspective

Patrick

A week. This was probably the longest week of my life. And it's still going.

"I miss you, you know?" No you idiot, I think. She doesn't. Because you haven't said it every minute of every day she's been here. Say something new, moron.

"When they brought you in . . ." I can barely get the words out. "I was with you baby. I found you, called the ambulance. I was with you every second."

Except the seconds that counted. I found her. Yeah, but I found her way too late.

"I should've gone back sooner. I shouldn't have just sat there like an idiot while you walked out. I should've fucking stopped you." Not the first time I've said these words. I've been playing 'I should've/I shouldn't have' since I saw her out cold bleeding in her car.

"Stop beating yourself up," I'm so out of it that I think the words come from Jen for a moment. It takes longer than it should for me to realize Kailey is the one speaking. I look up at her dejectedly.

"Don't give me that look," she glares. "She's my best friend and I know what she would be thinking. It's exactly that. This is not your fault. She is probably reaming you out right now inside her head, pissed that you are blaming yourself."

"Well we can't know that can we?" I counter. "Why? Because she's unconscious! Because she's in a coma! And why is she in a coma? Because—"

"Because some drunk as fuck dick decided it would be fun to pretend he was a British racecar driver! Because he rammed into her car! She's here because of him, not you. So if you're going to blame anyone, blame the asshole who walked out of here two days ago. But stop blaming yourself because we're all sick of it."

There are two ways a person whose girlfriend is comatose to take being told to get over themselves. One, is they rant and rave and get into a huge fight with the person telling them off. This most likely leads to everyone getting mad and nothing getting solved, but anger being a constant presence in the room.

The other choice would be to apologize and admit that, yeah, I know it's not my fault. Then we all get along and resume our vigil over the most popular sleeping person in the room.

I wish I had the strength to go with the second option.

I'm saved from pissing off a good friend by someone saying "You two arguing isn't doing my sister any good,"

We both whip around to glare at the annoying speaker. Her brother. Before she was admitted I'd only met the guy once. Hated him on sight. He was a total prick who didn't think I was good enough for his little sister. Of course that didn't stop him from asking if I could get him into some team parties.

I decide to take my anger out on him instead. "Why the fuck are you still here?"

"Good question," Kailey crosses her arms across her chest. "I'd like to know the same thing. You got the answer to your question," a pained look flits across her face. I'm sure I'm wearing a matching one. "Now why don't you just leave?"

"Maybe," he spits. "I want to make sure my sister wakes up."

"She's waking up," a new voice says. We all look over to see Jonathan standing in the doorway. "Hey man," he says to me. He kisses his girlfriend on the head before joining us in the glaring contest we have going on. We're winning.

"She will wake up," I say, confident that someone else believes it. "We all know it. You seem to be the only one questioning it."

He stares at all of us for a minute before giving up. "I'll be back later."

We watch as he walks out, making sure he really does leave.

"Do you think he'll really be back later?" I ask. I don't know the guy well enough to be sure.

"I hope not." This time my hallucination is so strong I can imagine the dryness in Jen's voice when she speaks. I look over at Kailey to see her looking down, staring openmouthed at the bed. I look to see what she's staring at and my mouth joins hers on the floor.

"Hi," Jen says, smiling weakly. "What did I miss?"

We are too busy staring in shock to answer in a timely manner.

"Um," she says. "Can you guys get me some water or something?"

We all rush to hand her cups of water. She takes the one I hand her, laughing softly. "Wow this is the best service I've had in a while. At least there's an upside to all of this."

I frown at her words. "Baby how are you feeling? Are you in pain?" Stupid question of course she's in pain. She was in a car accident. "How bad is the pain?" There, better question.

"I'm hopped up on pain meds," she rasps. "Can't feel a thing."

"You hate pain meds," Kailey mutters. "God you bitch I could kill you for what you did." Her smile and tears take the sting out of the words. "Never go into a coma again."

"You're the bitch," but Jen's smiling too. "I don't plan on it though. So you can stop crying now."

She doesn't. At least I don't think she does. I don't take my eyes off Jen long enough to find out.

"You're really awake," I whisper.

She looks up at me. "Unless this is a coma induced dream," she smirks. "But I don't think they'd be here if it was that. And we wouldn't be in a hospital bed."

"TMI much?" Kailey mutters. "We're going to get a nurse before you two start making out."

"Welcome back Jen," Jonny smiles, before turning towards the door.

"Wait guys," they stop and she looks around at all of us. The look on her face says she's expecting bad news. "My injuries . . . How's the baby?"

That was potentially the worst question she could have asked. Jon and Kailey won't meet her eyes and I feel my own start to prick.

"Sweetheart," I start and her expression immediately closes down. She knows it's bad news. "I'm so sorry." I mean it too. Once she left, I realized how idiotic I was being. True, I was still terrified out of my mind to be a dad, but I wasn't about to lose her over it. That's when I followed her out. Too bad I was too late. "They tried to save the baby when they brought you in," I can't meet her eyes right now. "I'm sorry sweetheart they couldn't save our baby. The crash caused a miscarriage."

A/N: I know it's been forever since I updated and I AM SO SORRY I swear I'm not putting off updating this I just really have had no inspiration :( I love you guys though best readers ever and I hope you love the rest of this story! Vote and comment what you thought of this update and again I am SO SORRY it's been so long between updates but I love you guys so much and thanks for reading <3 (btw HAWKS WON THE CUP AND IF YOU AREN'T STILL FREAKING OUT ABOUT THIS I AM SAD FOR YOU)