Truth or Dare

I don’t think I’ve had a more entertaining date in my life. Once we got turned away from five different restaurants—apparently kitchens don’t stay open past midnight in most places, even for Patrick Kane—we ended up back at his apartment, where we ordered pizza. An hour later, the pizza is gone and we are playing truth or dare.

“I’m not answering that!” Patrick laughs. “It’s too embarrassing!”

“You’re the one who said truth!”  I remind him. “If you didn’t want to answer then you should’ve said dare!”

“Yeah but then you would’ve gotten revenge for that last dare!” he says. He’s not wrong either. The last dare he gave me was to prank call one of his teammates, my number unblocked. I had to pretend to be a drunk ex-girlfriend, but I ended up laughing too hard to be convincing. I’m not sure who I called but they were not happy. Patrick is going to pay for that one.

“Answer the question,” I tell him, already laughing in anticipation of his answer.

He pushes a hand through his hair, smiling embarrassedly. “I don’t want to answer that,” he says laughing.

“Well I didn’t want to make the call!” I tell him. “Come on, fair’s fair.”

He looks around the room, stalling for time. I let him, just because it’s kind of funny to see him so flustered. It must be a good answer to have him so uncomfortable.

Just when I’m about to prod him for an answer again, my phone rings.

“Saved by the bell,” he smirks, while I answer.

I roll my eyes at his cheesy remark while I answer. “Hello?”

“Where the hell have you been?!” Kailey screams in my ear. I pull the phone away a little bit at the volume. “I turn around and you disappeared! Jonathan and I have been looking all over the city for you!”

“Relax!” I scream at her. She’s borderline hysterical. “Patrick and I left the bar when we saw you two had gone. I’ve been hanging out with him since then.”

Quiet on the other end of the line. I pull the phone away to see if maybe the call had been lost, but nope. After a few more minutes of quiet, she answers, “Patrick?”

I realize my mistake as soon as she says that. I would never have called him anything but Kaner before. I know my best friend, and she’s going to read way more into this than there is.

“Okay now that you know I’m alive can I talk to your boyfriend please?”

“Why do you want to talk to my—hey!” a muffled argument reaches my ears before Toews’s voice comes through the phone. “Why are you two hanging out?”

“Because we are,” I answer. “Don’t let her read more into this than there is. We both know she will if given half a chance.”

“I’m not taking sides on this,” I can hear Kailey in the background saying something about how he better be taking her side or he’s not getting laid. I try and fail to stifle my laugh. When Jonathan speaks again he does not sound amused. “Next time tell her where you’re going.”

“You guys could’ve just called you know,” I tell him.

“We tried, no one answered,” he responds. I check my missed calls and see that there are sixteen, fourteen of which are from Kailey. The other two are from Kailey, just calling from Toews’s phone. Oops.

“Oops,” I say. I can picture them both shaking their heads at me as easily as if they were standing right in front of me. “Well now you know I’m alive, and in semi-good hands, so can you get her to relax?”

“I can think of a few ways,” he says. I wrinkle my nose.

“Didn’t need to know that,” I tell him, before hanging up. Kane stares at me, asking without asking. “Apparently I need to learn to answer my phone.”

He laughs, but then cuts himself off before checking his own. “Um, looks like I need to too.”

We both stare at each other for a second before laughing.

“Guess we have concerned friends,” I mutter. He nods, still laughing a little bit.

“So,” he says now. “Truth or dare?”

“Oh hell no,” I answer. “You never answered my question. Now go.”

He looks down. I swear for a second I see him blushing. “This is embarrassing as hell,” he sighs. “Okay, when I was drunk three months ago I, uh, decided to dress up like superman and run around my building. And, well, I didn’t exactly have anything that looked like superman would wear ok? So I thought, ok well, I don’t need the shirt or anything, I just need the cape. Well, I don’t really remember what happened after that but Tazer told me that he found me in my underwear wearing my socks on my hands standing on the roof of the building shouting ‘DON’T WORRY CITZENS OF CHICAGO, SUPERKANE WILL PROTECT YOU!’”

I keep a straight face for a full four seconds before I fall out of my chair laughing.

“I was really drunk!” he shouts, embarrassed. “I don’t even remember it! Toews had to tell me everything that happened that night.”

If he thought that would make me stop laughing he was so wrong. When I finally can breathe a few minutes later I get up off the floor and get back in my seat. He gives me a sarcastic look.

“Are you done,” I smash my lips together, smothering my laughter, and nod. “Ok then,” and he smiles an evil smile at me. Suddenly, I’m afraid of whatever he has planned. “Truth or dare?”

A/N: hey guys! thanks for being so patient waiting for this update. I hope you guys enjoy it :) remember vote and comment if you do! thanks so much for reading!! I really appreicate it :)