Distract Me

I stare at the clock, willing the hands to move. It feels like they’ve been stuck in the same place for an eternity.

Tick tock. I check my phone to make sure but yes the clock is accurate. I growl in frustration at how slowly time is moving. I can’t sit still anymore.

As I pace the living room of Patrick’s apartment I wonder if I should just leave. I stayed here again last night and we didn’t do anything after we came back from the party. We didn’t even talk, just collapsed and slept. It was a new experience for me, sleeping in the same bed as a guy—at least knowing about it, since I’m pretty sure I slept in the same bed as him the night before.

It was nice. Waking up in his arms was nice too. I woke up with a smile on my face for the first time in a long time. I thought about how nice it was to be able to sleep well for a change.

Then I remembered that he was going to lunch with his ex today. And now I’m back to where I was.

I growl again. I need a distraction. I pick up the phone and dial. It rings four times before voicemail picks up. I try again. And again.

“What?” my distraction finally picks up.

“I need help,” I tell her.

“Obviously since you know better than to call me before I’m awake.” I roll my eyes at Kailey’s grumbling. “Do the words ‘not a morning person’ mean anything to you?”

“It’s one thirty in the afternoon,” I point out. “And I need help.”

“With what?” I can hear her yawning on the other end. Well at least she hasn’t hung up on me.

“Patrick’s at lunch with Amanda.” Just saying the words gives me a knot in my stomach. “And I’m nervous about it. And I feel bad for being nervous about it. And I’m wondering if I should just leave.”

“Okay well first off practice ended an hour ago so assuming he went straight to lunch after that, he should be home within a half hour.” Home. This is his home, but it’s not mine. Why would she use the word home? It’s the apartment, not home. I’m overthinking this. “But it might be longer if he decides to stay and catch up with her. Which he might,” she warns. “But it doesn’t mean anything if he does. Something you need to keep in mind is that she was a huge part of his life for a long time. Some people thought they were getting married. They have a history and you can’t ignore that. I know it hurts but you can’t.”

She’s right. It does hurt.

“Excuse me who pouted for three days when Jonathan accidentally ended up at the same restaurant as his ex?”

I can practically hear her scowling on the other end of the line. “That was different trust me. And it was not an accident.”

“I sense a story there.” Please let there be a story there. Anything to distract me from this.