twenty one

Everything hurt. His entire body felt stiff and everything just felt wrong.

Harry tried to rub at his eyes but tubes pulled at his arm and he frowned.

He was in the hospital but he couldn't remember how he'd gotten there or how long he'd been there. Everything was hazy and no matter how much he rubbed at his eyes, his vision hardly cleared.

The last thing he remembered was begging for Craig to help him as he lie in the cockpit, bleeding from several bullet wounds and slowly dying on that stupid plane.

"Hello?" He called out to see if there was anyone around that could tell him what was going on.

God, was that his voice? He sounded awful.

There was a nurse in the room that he hadn't noticed and he seemed to have alarmed her, she jumped slightly, dropped some metal objects that clanged loudly, and turned to face him.

"You're awake! How do you feel?" She was way too cheery for his current state of drugged up.

Harry stared at her for a moment, that was a stupid question he was in a damn hospital with no idea as to how he had gotten there or how long he had stayed, "I feel bloody awful. Where am I?"

She offered him a small smile, "You're at Grace Hospital, it's just outside of the base."

Harry frowned, he was still on base despite everything that had happened, the damned base was the last place that he wanted to be, "How long have I been here?"

The nurse looked through her charts briefly, "Just under a month."

Harry blanched and started to panic, "No, no that can't be right. I can't be here, I have to get back to my Rosie and my baby!"

Using all of his strength, he sat up and started to remove the wires and tubes connected to his body. He couldn't have missed his baby being born, he couldn't have. Machines started to beep loudly in protest and his head swam as he tried to stand up. He had to get home to Rosie.

The nurse called into the hall for some help and he didn't get very far before everything was being connected and he was lying in the damn hospital bed again, this time against his conscious will.

He was crying again knowing that they were going to keep him for a good while longer, "I need to get back to my Rosie."

                                                                                               . . .

"Shhh sweetie it's okay, Mummy's here. It's okay." Rosemary cooed as she rocked her little girl in her arms gently.

There was another rumble of thunder and Celestina started to cry again.

"Sweetie it's okay sshhhh it's okay." No matter how many times she had tried to calm her sweet little girl the storm outside would only make things worse.

Rosemary gently rocked her back and fourth in her arms trying to soothe her so the poor little thing could get back to sleep.

Rosemary started to sing her a lullaby that Anne had taught her and she calmed down and made cute little noises before finally closing her eyes.

Rosemary sighed in relief and set her down in her crib, placing a sweet kiss to her forehead, "Please sleep sweetie, I know it's hard but please sleep, you and Mummy really need it."

                                                                                                     . . .

"Mr. Styles you need to calm down. Everything is alright, you're alright." The doctor was a moron. Nothing was alright and he would not be 'alright' until he got to see Rosie.

"I don't care about me I care about my Rosie. When can I go home?" He was getting impatient the longer that they kept him there under observation.

The doctor looked at him with sympathy despite how much of a pain in the ass he had been for a good amount of his stay, "One week. We need to monitor your vitals and make sure everything is healing the way it should, you were shot eight times Harry."

Harry closed his eyes, he didn't care, "I just want my Rosie."

The week passed by like a decade and he loathed every torturous second of it. The food was terrible and so was physical therapy that he had to continue when he went back home and it only made him angry.

His hair had grown back, for the most part anyway, which pleased him very much, the cuts that they were required to have were hideous, especially on him, or so he thought anyway.

The nurse checked his vitals and his healed wounds one last time, "Alright Mr. Styles, you're good to go."

She handed him his duffle bag so that he could change into what he wanted and promptly left the room.

He was finally going home.

It was raining heavily by the time he'd made it back to London. Before he left, he found out that they had sent telegrams to his family, including Rosie, to inform them that he had passed. He was in such a bad condition when they made it back that they didn't think he was going to make it through the night.

He hoped to dear god that Rosie wouldn't be upset with him for worrying her if he wasn't really gone, but he didn't have time to send a letter and he'd been in a coma for nearly a month, so there really wasn't much he could have done.

He was glad that he'd brought an umbrella with him because the walk home was a long one made longer by the storm that didn't want to quiet.

It was nearly two in the morning when he'd knocked on the door, rousing Rosemary from her sleep. He'd knocked because he didn't want to frighten her more by just walking in, they told her that he was dead and he didn't want her to start screaming or anything.

A light flicked on downstairs after a moment and he could hear her unlocking the door, his heart beating a thousand times per minute and his lungs ceasing to supply him with oxygen as he waited patiently.

He found himself holding his breath further as the door opened, he didn't know what else to do.

Rosemary burst out in tears the moment her eyes landed on him and threw her arms around him, hugging him tightly to her as she mumbled, "You're alive. They told me you were dead."Her heart had suddenly regained it's will to function at it's full potential and nearly beat out of her chest.

Harry held her equally as tight, having her arms around him felt like a dream, "I know sweetheart, I know. They made a mistake. I'm home. Rosie, I'm home."

Rosemary let him go and kissed him on his cheeks, on his nose, on his jaw, and on his lips, everywhere that she could without being too intimate because he was still standing in the street, "I love you, I love you, I love you! Don't ever leave me again."

Harry closed the door behind him after kicking his things inside. He kissed her so passionately that she was breathless in moments, he'd been away for far too long and she needed to know just how much he missed her and just how sorry he was for doing this to her. He would have done anything to give back the time that they had lost.

"Never again my love, never ever again."

Celestina started crying from upstairs and Rosemary's face lit up as she looked up at her very alive fiance, "Would you like to meet your daughter?"