seventeen

"MAIL!"

Harry practically ran across the grounds, he'd been expecting a letter from Rosie for days, if he counted correctly, there would be one waiting for him today and he couldn't have been happier to hear from her.

"Excited today Styles?"

Harry nodded, his smile and quick appearance gave him away, "Yes Sir, I'm hoping I got a letter from my fiancè."

The postman nodded and returned a friendly smile, "You're in luck then."

He handed Harry the letter and Harry opened it quickly as he headed back to his bunk. Jack began walking with him soon after because he had nothing else to do and he figured they could talk because they were friends after all.

Harry started reading the letter frantically, the first sentence worrying him tremendously.

He found himself muttering what she'd written as his pace slowed dramatically, "However, it is something that I'm so scared to tell you because I don't know how you'll react. Do you remember, before you left, how we um, there's no un-awkward way to say this, slept together? That was a dumb question, of course you do. Uh, well, it has come to my recent attention that we didn't use any protection. God I don't know why I can't just say it. Harry, I'm pregnant. Please don't hate me, I didn't realize because I was so stuck on your being gone. I took about five tests to make sure. Harry I don't know what to do. I'm so nervous and scared and just all over the place. I don't blame you for it , but, Harry ,what will people think of me? An unwed woman pregnant with a soldier's child. God, everyone is going to say such terrible things. And what happens if you're not here when I have it or when he or she grows up? Then what do I do? I can't raise a child without you because I won't be able to work and then we'll be on the streets. Why do things have to be so...so complicated? :( I want you to know that I will completely understand if you walk away, I won't be happy with that at all if you do, but I will understand the pressure and whatever that it put on you. I'm not mad and I still love you so so very much. Please just tell me what to do, I'm so scared and I just really need to hear from you or I'm going to lose my mind."

His hands shook as he finished reading; he was going to be a father. He'd been waiting for pretty much his entire life to hear those words and he was completely and utterly overwhelmed with joy.

"I'm going to be a dad...I'm going to be a dad!! Jack I'm going to be a dad!"

Harry hugged his friend tightly and without warning, a massive grin on his face.

Jack laughed and smiled with him, he was truly happy for the man despite the fact that they both knew there was a slim chance that any of them would make it back home, "That's great Harry! Do you know when she's due?"

Harry shook his head, his smile still stupendous, "No, no. She just found out and she's freaking out in the not so good way. I can't believe this...I'm going to be a father."

                                                                                                . . .

Rosie, my love,

       I would never ever leave you because of that! Never ever! Actually, I love you that much more! Sweetheart, I understand why you're feeling that way, but there's nothing to worry about I promise. And, since when, my darling, have you ever cared what anyone thought of you? It doesn't matter what they think or say, what matters is that I love you, and our little baby inside of you, and vice versa. We don't need others to be happy. Sure, it was a careless mistake but sweetheart, now it's such a wonderful mistake, to have created such a precious life with you, even by accident, means so much to me that you can't even imagine. I will stand by your side forever, I promised you that when I asked you to marry me and I will hold to that promise for a lifetime and beyond. And sweetheart, if I'm not there when you have him or her, or to watch our baby grow up, you'll do just fine Rosie, my family will be there for you with or without me and I will be watching over you, always. But I will come home and I will be there to watch our baby grow up, I promise you that my love. Here's what I want you to do, I want you to keep our precious little baby and love him or her with all of your heart, and I want you to be strong and keep your head up no matter what happens or what people say, and I most certainly want you to remember that I love you endlessly, baby or no baby. I love you my beautiful constellation and soon to be little star. <3

                             Your Handsome Astronomer,
                                       Harry xxxxxxxxxx

                                                                                        . . .

Rosemary was at her desk when she'd read his letter, she was terrified to open it for days. It wasn't uncommon for men to change their mind when a child was brought into the relationship and he could have easily doubted that it wasn't his because he had been gone for quite some time.

Tonight she had decided to conquer her fear and read his response. As soon as she'd started to read it, her eyes filled with tears; he still loved her and wanted to be with her and here she was thinking that he'd want to leave.

"Rose? Is everything alright?"

Mary stopped running her errands once she caught the look on her face to make sure that if she needed to be there for her, she would be.

Rosemary nodded quickly, her hand still covering her mouth as a few tears fell free and a smile graced her lips.

"Yes, yes everything's fine. These are actually happy tears believe it or not."

Mary was intrigued, she hadn't been happy for the longest time, "Is he coming home?"

Rosemary shook her head and laughed briefly, she wished that she would come home that very moment, "Oh how I wish. No, he's just made me realize a few things I didn't think of when I uh...when I found out that I was pregnant a little bit ago."

This was the first time she had deliberately told anyone and, after reading Harry's letter, she really didn't care what anyone thought. He was right, it was their business and it didn't matter what other people thought anyway. Plus, they were engaged so it wasn't entirely a huge deal.

Mary's eyes widened considerably before she looked Rosemary over carefully, sure, she'd gained a little more weight but it looked normal in all honesty, "Wait. You're pregnant?"

Rosemary wiped her eyes, and nodded once more before clarifying, "Yeah, I am. And yes, it's his."

Mary was shocked, not because she didn't agree with her choices but because this was the Rose that hadn't planned on sleeping with him for a very long time, apparently three years and a war draft were enough to change that stubborn mind of hers.

"Wow. Congratulations Rose, I mean really, your baby is going to be gorgeous! I bet he can't wait to come home now."

Rosemary laughed lightly, she knew their little baby was going to be adorable long before Mary had made the notion, "We'll see and yes, you're exactly right."

                                                                                                  . . .

Harry, my heart,

        I can't express to you how much that last letter meant to me or how much that I love you. I'm sorry this letter is so late, I was really scared to read your reaction as I'm sure you would understand if our roles were reversed. Or at least, I would hope so. That was foolish of me to even think that you'd leave because of that. I love you so so so very much. I don't know what I'd do without you, you're my everything. I found out that I'm due in the middle of August, I really hope that you'll be home by then. What do you think we're going to have? A boy or a girl? I've been trying to come up with names all week but I've only come up with one for a girl so far. What do you think about Celestina, or Celeste for short? You know, because celestial means outer space or in the sky? I think it's cute and ties us together :) Please be careful out there Harry, I need you more than you could ever imagine. I love you more than anything that has ever existed or will exist in the future.

                                            Your beautiful Rosie xxxxxxxxx