One hundred and forty four

Once Henry and Charlie have had lunch, Spencer takes the two of them into the garden to play.

I watch through the kitchen window, waiting to hear my Mom come back downstairs, but instead I hear the phone ringing.

"Hi."

"JJ, that is the most awkward way I've ever heard anyone answer the phone. Hi." The woman mocks me before laughing down the line.

"Emily, hi!" My voice raises slightly with excitement and my friend laughs again.

"What's going on, how come you didn't pick up the hundreds of times I called this morning?"

"I uh, I was busy."

"Busy ey?" I can't see her, but I know she's smiling.

"Yeah, busy." I state, trying to sound serious even though I'm holding in a laugh. I bite my lip and look out to Spencer playing with the boys as Emily rambles on about her conversation with my Mom this morning.

"So when are you guys flying over?" She asks, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Oh, I uh- I'm not entirely sure. Mom told us we were going to see you this morning, but then she took off." a frown presses on my brows. "Em?"

"Yeah?"

"I think she's seeing someone." I say, allowing the stifled laugh to fall through my lips.

"What? Really?" Her voice raises. "What's brought up this assumption?"

"Well every other day she's leaving Spencer and I, to go shopping, but today she forgot to come home with bags and half the time we don't even need things in."

Emily laughs loudly. "Oh my god, we have to get everything out of her when you guys come down!" She speaks loudly again, excitement laced through her words.

"I'll book us a flight now." I say, heading to the kitchen table and turning on the laptop.

I take a seat in front of it, holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder as I type.

"Ok, we can get a flight tonight. Is that good for you, or should we get one la-"

"No no it's good, it's good! I can't wait to see you. We've still got a lot to talk about."

"Booked." I smile before catching sight of Henry rushing towards me, crying.

"What happened?" I ask, dropping the mobile on the table without warning as fear surges through me at the sight of blood.

Henry continues to cry and Spencer rushes in, not far behind him.

"What's going on?" I raise my voice slightly, lifting Henry onto the kitchen counter and pressing a damp towel to his head.

"He tripped. We were playing and he tripped, I think he knocked his head on a plank of wood."

"Knocked his head? Spencer, why didn't you put them out of his way?" I can feel myself growing angry, even though I know it's not Spencer's fault.

A few minutes later, the towel I was covering Henry's head with is covered in blood and I'm handed another by my Mom.

"We're gonna have to take him to the hospital. Keep pressure on his wound, it'll help the bleeding." Spencer speaks calmly.

"How are you feeling?" He asks the blonde who's long hair is being stained a reddish colour.

Henry just looks back at him blankly, fighting to keep his eyes open. "Hey, you can't go sleep, ok? Keep your eyes open for me?" Spencer pushes his blood soaked hair backwards, away from the gash.

My hand begins to shake as worry ploughs through me. "Is he- Will he be ok?"

"He'll be fine, maybe just a few stitches... that's all. Here." Spencer takes the towel from my hand, tending to the large cut covering Henry's head.

"Emily? Em, I'm so sorry, Henry has fallen over."

"Is he ok?"

"Spencer said he'll only need a few stitches I just, I'll uh- I'll call you later." I manage to say with a shaky voice.

***

"I told you, a few stitches and we're outa here." Spencer says as Henry comes running back into our arms.

I hug him tightly and he giggles. "I'm ok."

"Good, good. I'm glad you're ok." I lift him up, carrying him back toward the doctor as he tells us Henry's stitches will dissolve on their own and we have no need to return.

"If the stitches come off and the wound hasn't properly healed, don't worry just bring him back."

"Thank you so much." I say, smiling at the tall, older man.