Down We Go

"Can I just say that you Spencer's have a knack for pulling the rug underneath people? Like, why can't you just tell people who you really are? Stop with all the flares and dramas! It's really REALLY annoying, you know."

                I sat on Ethan's humongous office chair then raised my feet up his desk. After the commotion in the living room, we headed straight to his office so that we could talk. As to what we're supposed to be talking about, I'm not sure yet. What I'm sure of though is that my time here in Lachlan is limited (because duh, I have a life, too) and, I want to settle and find answers to my and Ethan's hanging questions as soon as possible.

                Goober furrowed his brows. "I'm sorry, Boo Bear. I just want to protect you from all of these." He muttered apologetically as he leaned his hip on the end of his desk, near my raised feet.

                I waved my hand dismissively. "Yeah, yeah. I already figured that part out. I'm way past that. However," I put my feet down then edged closer to Ethan by resting my elbows at my legs, "what I don't get is--- why still keep the secrets when it doesn't have to be kept anymore? Like, there were tons of opportunities for you to just tell me the truth but--- I don't get it! Why didn't you?"

                I stood up and went in front of him so that I could look him in the eye. "I mean, nobody else knows that I'm your girlfriend anyway, except for the Spencer's. So, what harm would it have done?" I bit my lips as I watch the conflicting emotions on his face. "Were you afraid that I might not see you as Ethan anymore? Or, that maybe I might use you?" I whispered.

                He opened his mouth a few times before a stern expression settled among him. "If I said yes, would that finally make you shut up and happy?"

                I narrowed my eyes at him. I don't like that tone. "No," I snapped at him. After a moment, I changed my mind coz, well, he has a point. "Okay, a little bit. It makes me feel like you don't want to lose me."

                Goober crossed his arms and glared at me. "What's that supposed to mean?"

                I rolled my eyes. "Well, last time we were together, you did try to break up with me." He opened his mouth as if to argue but I talked over him by raising my voice and putting one finger up. "BY THE LAMPPOST where WE had our FIRST KISS, mind ya."

                He looked guilty for a beat but he quickly recovered, his anger intensifying. "Well, if I could correctly recall, you did hold out the truth on me once, too. Does socialite remind you of anything?" He smirked that freaking smug-yet-sexy smirk at me. Damn, he's hot.

                I gaped then used my raised finger to point an accusatory one towards his hard chest. "You said you wouldn't hold that against me!"

                "I told you I wouldn't use it to 'purposely hurt you,' and I'm not. I'm just trying to make a point here," Ethan raised his hands and did a sorry-but-not-really-sorry shrug.

                Ugh. Annoying. "Fine, next question," I snapped, "why didn't you tell me you were a prince when we met? Why be the stranger slash 'hot' pizza delivery guy? Why pretend you were somebody else?"

                Goober bristled and I could tell he doesn't really want to explain this part. Fortunately, after swallowing a few times, I could see he finally worked up the courage to answer me. "Okay, here's the truth," he looked pointedly at me, "I DON'T want to be a Prince. I am not a fan of this royal stuff, though I'm not gonna lie, this certainly has its perks. I am not trying to escape. I was just trying to live a normal life because I'm bound to be King sooner or later. Fortunately, due to the media law of Lachlan and because it's a tiny country, too, nobody really knew me, so I used that to my advantage and went to America."