Brotherly Love

Brotherly Love

“You are going and that is the end of it mister!” My best friend Jade yells at me as she throws onto my bed. She thinks that going to the end of the year school party will cheer me up. Yeah, good luck with that.

“Why? It won’t be any fun anyways. Parties are just for teens to drink and get pregnant. That’s not me.” She rolls her eyes and says,

“I don’t care if that’s ‘not you’. A party is exactly what you need right now. I am sick of seeing you mope around day in and day out. Just go to the party, drink a little, and relax. Okay?”

I reluctantly nod my head and look at the clothes that are now laying in front of me. Black skinny jeans, white t-shirt, studded belt, and original black and white converse. I turn my nose up at the thought of me wearing these clothes. Hell no! This is so not me. I’d rather go in a pair of blue jeans and a loose t-shirt. 

“Seriously? These clothes are hideous.” I say but still begin to put on the clothes.

“Yes. Now shut up and get dressed.”

I groan and march my way into the bathroom. This party better be worth all of the hassle

…………

Music blasts from inside of the house and I can feel the ground shake underneath of me.  Great. This party ought to be lots of fun. Not. My frown grows bigger and Jade’s smile grows bigger as we approach the door. She pulls on my arm a bit and tugs me forward.

Kids are everywhere. Some are dancing and practically having sex on the floor, others are drinking or making out. This really isn’t my scene. I’d rather be at home playing Gears Of War and chatting with friends. Parties are so not my thing, at all.

“Cheer up will you? I brought you here to have some fun and that is what we are going to do.” Jade yells at me and then continues to drag me through the throngs of people. 

We reach the kitchen and I see kids all of all sizes lined up along the counter. Shots of something are lined in front of them and they all have their game faces on, including Max; my step brother.

I should have figured that he would be here. He is the top dog in school after all. At school he is the jock and popular guy, but at home he is my best friend. We spend hours just sitting and eating while playing Gears Of War. It’s what first made us bond when he moved in with us.

My mother married his father around a year ago, and along with his dad come Max himself. Him and his cocky self. I can remember just how much I had hated him in the beginning. It took months for the both of us to warm up to the likings of one another. 

As I am brought back to the present, a drink is shoved into my hand. I look down to see a red cup filled with something in it. My eyes travel up to Jade, who has a cup of her own attached to her lips. She motions for me to take a drink and I just give her a dirty look.

I bring the cup to my lips and slowly let liquid travel down my throat. It burns a little but other than that, it isn’t that bad. The taste is unique, that’s for sure.