Chapter 31 - Shades of the Fall

31.

Shades of the Fall

He stepped over his fallen sword and quickly walked the several steps over to her. “It really is you!” Dante exclaimed as he held her face between his hands. He wiped the tears from her wide eyes. An excitement took hold of him when he realized he could gaze into them without being compelled to look away. “Reyna.”

She stood frozen, staring into Dante’s excited face. She placed her own hands on top of his and the warmth of seeing a familiar face spread through her. “Dante,” she softly repeated his name.

“He smells like him,” Erian coolly spoke from behind Reyna. He placed his weapon away having decided there was no threat.

“Yeah,” Cerus agreed. “He must carry his blood. A descendant from the Matsumi Clan.”

A fierce snarl ripped through the air. Mundus tore Dante’s hands away from Reyna’s face. “Do not touch her,” he growled.

Dante’s eyes narrowed into green slits. “Mundus,” he spat. Suddenly, the huge sword that was buried under powdered debris shot out from its tomb. It landed, hilt first, in Dante’s waiting palm. “I know all about you now.”

At this Mundus grinned. “Berserker.”

Dante turned to the demon with nothing but anger.

Reyna sighed and pushed the two feuding figures away from each other. “We don’t have time for this. Dante, what’s happened here? Where is Uncle Amon?”

Dante immediately relaxed upon facing Reyna. “He’s downstairs. Under the basement.”

“Under the basement?” Her voice reflected her confusion. 

He gave a grim smile. “Yeah. Much has happened in the past two years. Master Amon will fill you in.”

Reyna blinked. “Master Amon?”

~*~*~

There was a thick layer of crumbled clay and old, burnt wood in what used to be the living room. Dante kicked some of it to the side to reveal a set of slightly charred basement doors that were entrenched into the floor. He opened them and simple concrete stairs came into view.

“Must we follow?” Erian grunted as the strong scent of human odor floated out of the entrance. “I rather not be around mortals.”

Flow stopped by the open doors, sniffed, and then began salivating.

“Uh-oh,” Cerus said. “Flow’s hungry.” He caught the wolf by the tail before he dashed into the room. “Maybe we shouldn’t go in either.”

“Fine with me.” Dante’s voice was bitter.

“I don’t care where you guys go. I’m going in,” Reyna said.

Mundus stood by the entrance as Reyna and Dante walked down the stairs. He also did not wish to be around humans, but his desire to not leave Reyna alone with Dante was greater. He turned to his companions. “Erian. Cerus. Scout our area. I shall return shortly.”

The two demons hesitated and stared at Mundus. They were to stay by his side at all times, yet his glare ordered them to leave. The two demons thought it better not to stir their prince with any unwarranted suspicion and did as commanded.  

When Reyna, Dante, and Mundus reached the bottom of the steps, they were standing in a dim room. The only light came from the small holes and cracks in the ceiling. It was enough to reveal the area’s emptiness. Only partially burned boxes sprinkled around the ground. As they walked, it became apparent the basement was bigger than what it should have been. The muted footsteps of shoes walking on cold cement were replaced with the sharp clang of footfalls walking on metal.