Chapter 30 - In the Ashes - Part II

Ram’s unplanned attack on Reyna had prevented Amon from giving her a proper explanation of what her powers were. She eagerly awaited his words.

“Heal Mahou,” Auronmar said, “consists of Caster, Aide, and Healer. Minor wounds are mended under a Caster. An Aide can fuse broken bones while a Healer has the ability to heal mortal wounds and reattach limbs if the target is reached in time. Those under Heal Magic have an increased rate of regeneration than others that are not.”

Reyna swallowed at his words.

“Summon Mahou’s three levels are Caller, Rite, and Summoner. Though simple in its evolution, its power increases as the tiers do. Callers can usually summon only on demon, a lower level one, for a short amount of time. Rites can call upon a few more and have the power to Summon upper level demons. It is only a Summoner that has the power to call forth a superior level demon along. Some may even call a Spirit under their command.”

 Auronmar lowered his crossed leg and leaned towards Reyna. “Something you should know is that all Magika power is not set in stone. Simply because you hold the capability of a high level Magika does not mean you will automatically achieve those powers. The efficiency and potency of Magika depends on its user and the target.

“Individuals can mold and explore their Mahou, adapting it to create new tools or abilities that can be used or even taught to others. The Body Construction the humans of old developed and you configured can be an example of that.”

Reyna gazed at the king the best she could from her fixed angle. His words sunk in and their understanding brought her a sense of ease. Finally an explanation to something that wasn’t sprung on her against her will.

“There is something else you should know about your Magika,” Auronmar said. “I am sure you have been told you are a Hybrid. What that means is you have access to two forms of Magika. More than likely, however, you will not be as powerful in them as a non-Hybrid with the same powers as you.

“In turn, though, as a Hybrid you have a ‘mixed’ and random power in addition to your Magika. In your case, it is your ability to manifest weapons and defenses out of thin air. As a Hybrid, something only twins are, it is your power alone.”

Awed, Reyna remained silent. Auronmar watched her with solemn eyes.

“Wait,” she suddenly spoke. “You said something about lower and upper demons earlier. Do they have anything to do with those demons I faced earlier?” She recalled they had been part of his army. “I mean your demons. Sorry about killing them. Do any of them have Magika?” Reyna bashfully asked.

Again, Auronmar chuckled softly at her fretting. “Yes, there are different types of demons: lower level, upper level, and superior level. The lower level Demons make up the majority of the demon population. They mostly serve the purpose of front line soldiers and are the ones you encountered in your earlier battle. These demons cannot use Magika.

“Upper level demons are found within a small percentage of the demographic. Their appearance is more human than the lower but still hold plenty of demonic features. Few uppers can use magic. Those who can, however, are mostly limited to only the lower level of Mahou. An upper level demon achieving the second level of Magika can be possible, but it is extremely uncommon.

“Superior Level Demons are quite rare.” Auronmar gave a small grin. “They are the strongest type of demons and have access to the strongest level of Magika. They can handle the fusion of weapon and Spirit. Gahn, Cerus, and Erian are superior level demons.”

“About that,” Reyna spoke up, “I don’t understand what Spirits are exactly.”

“There is not much for me to tell you. Spirits are a bit of a mystery to us as well. They come in different forms and appearances and for some reason appear in our realm. Some possess powers of their own while others are vessels to be used. When a demon partners a Spirit with their weapon, his power can increase. At times he is bestowed with a new power provided the Spirit itself has them,” Auronmar answered.