Chapter 8 - Shadow's Play

8.

Shadow's Play

He sat on the stiff grey seat in the airport's lounging area-his bed for the past couple of days. He had feasted off of vending machine snacks and water. The airport itself was tiny, boasting of only one major airline and few flight takeoffs. Franchise chains of restaurants were not in abundance, and even if they were, he hardly had any money for them. However, the small waiting room had been empty enough that his several days stay had gone unnoticed. He had only left once only to come back.

He had figured out a week before where Amon was going to go. It had been difficult trying to figure out when. Arriving before him had been harder, but he had done it. Though the fact that Amon had been hospitalized had helped.

Unfortunately, there was nothing else to do at the moment. If he faced Amon now, there was the risk of involving the demon as well. He was unsure as to how this entity existed inside the body of another, or if the fiend would even be able to battle, but he didn't want to risk it. He would need to investigate further. But how?

But the demon. That demon that was within her. The thought made him furious. How could she allow such a thing to happen? She should have waited for him. Instead she continued that abhorred union. If only he could approach her. Contact her. With Amon watching her, though, such a feat was nearly impossible. He doubted his ability to conceal himself from Amon at such a close range. Even if did pull it off, the demon would probably notice him anyways.

"Pray, I can aid you."

The young man looked around for the unusual voice that softly echoed in the room. It was not just one voice, but multiple. Hundreds. Thousands. All spoken milliseconds after the other.

"Who are you?" he asked with a child's fascination.

Nothing else was said as something dark appeared before him. It was totally black with movements like liquid onyx. When it spoke, the voice seemed to emerge from its entire body all at once.

"I will make it so Faith, Power, and Guard shall not sense you."

The youth gave a pleasant, soothing smile. "Faith? Power? And Guard?"

"Those you seek to hide from. I can cloak your essence to them. To all."

"What strange names you have for people!" He laughed agreeably and smiled at the black mass as if it was his best friend. "Okay. I don't know what you are, but I will accept your help."

~*~*~

Reyna's room shared a wall with the guest room, and while it wasn't paper thin, there was the fear that her uncle was placing an ear to it. Reyna wasn't going to give him an inch, though. Her and Mundus' conversation was all going to be in her head.

Okay, Reyna thought as she locked the door in her room and crossed over to her bed. How can he possibly know about you?

Mundus was quiet with his thoughts. Reyna took that opportunity to reach under her pillow and dig out her mirror. She sat with it on her bed. A sudden shudder ran through every inch of Reyna's physique, causing her to violently shake for a moment. She was being watched. The same sensation her uncle's stare gave her was revisiting her blood.

"Swiftly!" Mundus finally spoke. "Retrieve my sword!"

What? Why? Reyna gave Mundus' reflection a curious look.

"Simply abide!"

His urgent words prodded her to the closet. Arms enveloped around the silent sword, she sat back on the bed and looked into the mirror that was now prodded up against a pillow.