Chapter 3 - Cemetery Stroll*

"What?" she whispered.

"It is as I have said, wench." Needles stuck to his words.

Reyna shook her head only she couldn't actually feel the action, couldn't feel the weight of her head moving. "What's going on?"

Annoyance and anger heated around her. She flinched—again feeling dislocated from the act—at the building emotions. She could sense their presence, but they weren't hers. It was like she was watching something come to life, feeling its core and existence by the heat she felt from it, and this fire told her it was irritated.

She gasped. "Am I...feeling your emotions?"

The flames around her cooled. Amusement. "You are. How adorable."

"But I still don't understand what's going on."

Mundus gave a throaty sigh. "Simply see. You are not as imprisoned as you think." With a clawed hand, he picked up a vase that was on the coffee table next to the sofa.

Reyna was about to ask what the hell him doing that was supposed to mean when she noticed. She could feel and sense everything as if she were in her own body, but she felt it through Mundus. It sounded strange and confusing, but it made sense.

The coldness of the vase was bright and crisp in her hand—even though her hand didn't actually exist. Mundus rubbed his thumb on the surface, and Reyna felt the smoothness. Her eyes, her own eyes that also didn't exist but knew were there, widened as she "held" the vase, delighted that she could experience what was around her even if she couldn't physically interact with it.

"I sense your understanding," Mundus spoke.

"Sense my understanding?" she said, releasing the vase, sensing it float away even though Mundus still held it.

"Surely you have come across the realization as of now? A mental bond is shared between us. Our actions are acknowledged by one another as are our emotions. I, of course, read yours with greater accuracy while I keep my own well controlled."

She blushed, the action unseen but she knew he knew and that made her all the more embarrassed. "So every time I touched my hair or kissed Dante or when he held me..."

He grimaced. "I also have greater control of my interactions when trapped in your body. I am able to pull away when you decide to participate in such revolting tasks."

"Well forgive me for thinking I could do whatever I want in my own body."

Mundus bared his fangs in his laughter. "It does not matter now. I currently reside in my own body, and how I have missed my appearance."

"What!" He growled at her yell, and Reyna felt the heat around her hot and fast, but she didn't care. "You mean there's some ancient demon standing in my living room?"

"I am not 'some' demon, wench. Nor am I as ancient as you believe."

"What is it with you and the name calling? I can do it too. Jerk. Can't you just once give me a straight answer."

"Simply do as I say. Close your eyes."

Not having much of an option, Reyna did. To her surprise, she could still see, but it was like she was in a mirrored world. Mundus stood in front of her as if she and him were both whole and tangible. Reyna's lips parted in awe as she saw all of him for the first time.

His pants were baggy and white. A black cloth was wrapped around his waist as a makeshift belt. White bindings starting under his knees continued down to his ankles and feet. What Reyna had thought was a vest was more of a coat that fell down to his shins. It was black on the outside and red inside with a high collar. The muscles on his chest, stomach, and arms were firmly corded like a swimmer's body.