Chapter 10

Ella started to slow down her Jeep as she turned around the corner that leads into my street. She slowed the car down to almost a crawl, but continued on past my house to the end of the road where I assumed she would stop to drop me off.

'Okay, promise me if your headache remains or you have any other symptoms that turn up you'll go to the doctors or the hospital?' She said, doing a three point at the top of the road, focusing on road rather than the conversation at hand.

'Yeah, but I only collapsed, so there shouldn't be any other symptoms... should there?' I asked nervously still feeling guilty I lied to her. She seemed to bend over backwards in order just to help me. I felt like repeating the lie would make me and her believe it, and make me believe it as well. I knew Ella was the type of person to pick up emotions of others easily, but I hoped she didn't pick up this lie.

'I'd say keep an eye out for concussion because you might have hit your head really hard. If you are unresponsive, start throwing up or keep zoning out – now I'm not on about zoning out daydreaming you do every day – but abnormal zoning out, all the normal symptoms. If you have a really bad headache for the next few days, I suggest going to the doctors as well. It's better to be safe than sorry.'

I nodded, as she pulled to a stop outside my house.

'I'm sorry about what my Mum said on the phone –' I went to start at the on the apology about how rude Maria had been on the phone, knowing that Ella had heard every single word. Ella must have heard how Maria said she was aggressive, and her family wasn't the right people to be hanging around with. Whilst I knew that was not right, I didn't know how Ella has taken it. I couldn't imagine how I would have felt if I did all Ella had done for me, just to hear her parents saying that across the phone line. Ella just started shaking her head.

'Don't worry, Hope, I get it all the time.' She gently said. But, she didn't say it in a way of seeking attention. She said it in a way that normal people would talk about bills, and that is what made it hit me. She knew the reputation her family had, but she wasn't arguing against it and wasn't agreeing. She just let it stay that way, because what's the point in arguing? It wasn't fair. 'You probably should go in – your parents are waiting for you.' She quietly said, as I opened the car.

'Thanks for everything, Ella.'

'That's alright. See you at school at some point. Let me know how you feel later.'

I climbed out the car, pulling out my rucksack from the passenger seat before closing the door. But Ella didn't drive away, but remained in her car outside my house. I quickly walked towards the door, putting my key in the door lock, but the door opened before I did. Maria quickly hugged me, but then noticed the Jeep outside the house, pulled me in and slammed the door.

'Get in.' She said, slamming the door. I felt the tone of the room was more angry then I expected

'What was that for?' I asked incuriously.

'Hope, sit down.' Maria said, pushing me into the lounge. Mark was not home yet, so I assume Maria must have got a phone call and has come home immediately. I sat down on the edge of the cream leather settee, fiddling with my bag strap.

'What's up?' I tentatively asked my pounding head back and my heart in my mouth.

'What happened tonight, Hope? Tell me the truth, you won't get told off and nothing bad will happen... to you at least.' That seemed like a threat towards the Williams. I frowned at her, but realised I had to stick to the same lie. If i told Maria I was hearing voices again, I'll be going straight back off to therapy.

'I was just walking home; I finished school normal time because the school rehearsals meant I couldn't do my catch up of music and history. I didn't have much to eat because I just wasn't hungry, so I was walking the way I normally do home and I went really light headed, so I went to get my bottle from my bag and I just blacked out I guess. I woke up in Ella's room where she picked me up and made sure I was okay, she gave me something high in sugar to eat and drink then you were so rude on the phone but she still offered to drop me off.' I explained, my tone turning sharp on the latter part.