Chapter 1 - The Arrival

__________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 1 - Arrival

"Congratulations Mara Tanner – You have been elected as World President! Please come up here and present the world with your views."

    This was it. The moment I had been waiting for all my life.

    The glorious day that proved all those juvenile rebukes from my friends and family wrong.

    As the British royal family happily beckoned me to come to the stage, I snatched the nearest mirror I could find and peered inside, my amber eyes twinkling back at me like a jar of honey. My boring brown hair was just streaming down my back, locked into the stubborn curls that I had worked so hard on straightening to no avail. I sighed inaudibly to myself, my reflection wasn't exactly flattering - I looked like a witch who had lost track of her broom. 

    Well, no turning back now, I thought to myself as I scowled at the mirror and mused at the different ways I could present myself in front of the screaming people. 

    I shall act in a manner of elegance.

    I slowly stood up to see 15 million people looking at me live – while the rest of the world was observing my movements on T.V. – in 3D! I felt the palms of my hands go moist as I swallowed the nervousness down and slowly began to croak "Thank you so much for your votes it is an honour being –

    BRING!

    Ugh. I could have sworn my alarm clock isn't that loud. 5 more minutes... 

    "Mara, wake up! We'll be late for chemistry and we have a new teacher – we can't be late!"

    What? Oh! Such a good dream shattered!

    "Mara you were sleeping through the entire citizenship lesson? You do realize it is important! You have to pay attention in every class – not just the ones you like."

     Back to reality.

    I opened my reluctant eyes to see the world of Brookmere College: Broken chairs, tables with chewing gum stuck under, poster papers used as blinds and the familiar big black stain on the floor which sprouted memories of a year 7 science disaster. 

    Yep, this was my school. 

    I looked up to see Ashley glaring at me with her big cinnamon-brown eyes. She had the 'I'm-about-to-murder-you-if-you-don't-wake-up-right-now' look on her face which made her look quite frightening – almost predatory. She had her long, silky blonde hair wrapped up in a bun above her head, with little daisies delicately sitting around it and like always, she had done something amazing with the ridiculous school uniform we had – making it to look smart yet fashionable.

    I gave her a cheesy smile. "But Ash, World Dominance links to citizenship – and I sort of am concentrating on the subject – just a bit outside the box..." I said as sweetly and innocently as possible.

    Ashley and I both burst into hysterical laughter.

    "Wow, a little bit? You must have a very big box!" Came an unseen voice from the door.

     Faye was standing with her bag waiting for us; she looked like a bird perched on the doorstep. A ray of sunlight was shining in her eyes which caused them to look like two hazel stars illuminating our classroom. Her thick, brown hair was simply tied into a ponytail at the back of her head, and she wore a necklace that had a capital 'F' engraved ever so delicately on to it. She looked effortlessly beautiful.