Chapter 24

Jason and I were a great team, we had outwitted several car owners and earned a good deal of cash. It was the midst of September, when the weather became moderate and pleasant.

"Remember when you were so upset about 'how to steal a car' and I came up with the best plan ever" I said, as I took the last bite of my breakfast caramel-banana-cerpe.

"Woah, slow down, sweet cheeks!" Jason scoffed. "It wasn't that big of a deal, besides you've been doing the same trick for a month now, I bet people won't be falling for it anymore" he crossed his arms.

I glared at him.

"Anyways I'm gonna order you to stay at home, and I'll go out, get a ride, supply it to Costello" he told
"Stay in the house" he emphasized, as he walked out.

Sitting in my room, I prepared myself for a lazy day as I was to remain in the house. I sighed, then thought 'why should I listen to him?'

I sneaked out of the house and roamed the beautiful city, even in the daylight it seemed fancy. I walked into a public park and sat down on a bench. The air was fresh and clean, as well as refreshing. Not many people were to be seen although. After some time I headed out.

"Come young lady, for I shall predict the future for you" claimed a man, wearing a purple silk turban on his head, plenty rings on his fingers. His skin was dark brown, seemed like an Asian.

"You're kidding me right?" I scoffed, as I stopped at the entrance of the park, where he sat with his little stall.

"No my dear girl, I can, and shall predict your fate" he said, oddly waving his fingers around a crystal ball.

"This might actually be entertaining" I spoke giggling, as I sat on a little stool.

"Now give me your hand child, for I shall predict your destiny" he said

I did as asked, he held my hand and carefully examined the lines on my hand. He then closed his eyes. It seemed very awkward

"I sense sorrow, and hardships. Oh! Poor girl, suffering so much, but wait! I see a source of happiness and affection. I see a boy, wealthy he is, very deeply in love with you. But there lies a pain, the pain shall never end" he told, then opened his eyes with a jerk.
"This boy in your life, he-"

"There is no boy" I cut him off

"But I see him, he's around you" he added

"How much do I owe you?" I asked, rudely

"5 dollars" he looked at me strangely

I paid him, got up and walked a few paces.

"Happiness is around you, Veronica" he called out from the back

I turned and shot a perplexed glare at him.

I wandered through the city, thinking about it. He had known my name, and that how much I had suffered, but what boy? What happiness? Was he talking about Jason? Couldn't have been him, but who else then?

I was shocked, rather confused. I saw the sunset and the bright lights, spreading through the city, illuminating everything. I made my way home as it had grown quite late.

"Where were you, baby girl?" asked Jason as soon as I entered.

"Out" I replied curtly

"I thought I told you to stay at home" he spoke calmly

"I just wanted to go out" I said

He frowned at first, "Whatever" he mumbled, shrugging his shoulders.
"Anyways I ordered pizza, It'll be here any second, and I had to tell you the most exciting news" he told

I raised an eyebrow.

"but since you're acting like a bitch, I won't tell" he said in a friendly tone

"I just.. Sorry, okay?" I said, scratching my brow

He smirked, then said "You might wanna sit down for this one" he looked hyped

I sat on the kitchen counter, and gathered myself to calm down and put whatever the man told me out of my head.

"Tell me" I said, trying to smile

"So, I got a car very easily because a drunk chick drove it, I then, drove to Costello and when I was about to leave his place, a black SUV came rushing in, firing and shooting at us, I ducked down and took Costello behind my car, Costello handed me his gun and I began shooting at them, and they, immediately drove away. Man it was so sick, just like in the movies" he explained

"Wow, you just saved his life" I said, nodding.

"Yeah, and you know the best part, Costello was so impressed, he said he would repay me with something valuable" Jason told, smiling widely

"What's it gonna be?" I asked in enthusiasm

"I don't know" he said pressing his palms against the counter, "But I bet it's gonna be a huge boost for us" he added, leaning towards me, his eyes were half-open, I knew he was about to kiss me, 'Just back off' the voice inside my head told me, but I leaned forward, he pressed his lips against mine. I felt the goosebumps. He kissed me lingerly, I felt his hands crawl up on my thighs, a strange fuzziness in my stomach, I felt his tongue on my lower lip, and just when I was about to slide mine against his, the doorbell rang. I opened my eyes hurridly and broke the kiss, Jason stood, smiling for a second. I turned my head towards the door, trying to avoid eye contact with him. I saw him get the door. Our pizza had arrived.