Chapter 10

Swishing, the car went down the road. The jerks and bumps was making me nauseous,  I was  definitely not going to have a good sleep.  I decided to get up, even though my eyes were heavy. Yawing,   I was rubbing sleep out of my eyes. I was still struggling to get my cautious back when I heard Jason mumbling something, I paid attention to him and realized that he was singing along to the track being played

"... It's lust, it's torturous, You must be a sorceress 'cause you just, Did the impossible, Gained my trust. Don't pl-" I cut him off saying

"Dude singing is for losers" I chuckled and looked out of the window, I lied through my teeth.  I loved rapping and for me it was a turn on when his raspy voice perfectly overlapped with Eminem's.

"it's called rapping,  you won't know"  he smirked from the corner of his mouth.

I looked at him and rolled my eyes.  I had no idea how long had I've been sleeping. The last time I checked it was light outside but now it was dark. I could smell something burning,  but I couldn't think of the source.  I was avoiding a conversation with him so I just stayed quite.  Almost an hour passed and we hadn't spoken a word, Jason had even stopped his 'rapping'. The silence was awful. 

Finally, I broke the ice and asked him where we were, 

"so how long do we have to drive till disenyland? " I asked him

"as long as this car can take" he replied and tapped the steering wheel with his hand.

As soon as he said that I noticed some kind of black smoke rising from the hood of the car, I  pointed with my finger and yelled "What in God's name is that?"

Jason stopped the car and squinted for a second, then ran out cursing.

I sat there wondering how bad must the damage be but as seconds passed,  the smoke got intense, I was starting to panic. I got out of the car and stood behind Jason as he was staring at the smoke, licking his lips. I crossed my arms and pursed my lips. We stood there for a while,  finally the smoke started to fade and my mind started to calm down.  He turned to me and just stood there for a minute, not saying a word.  Finally a sigh escaped his well licked lips and he spoke

"I think it is overheated" his voice was raspy, his eyes were glowing in the dark.

"You think?" I chuckled. He didn't reply instead he started to walk to the side of the road. I was stranded on this long gray road with two vast and void sideways,  covered in brown dry dust, but worst of all I was with Jason. His arrogance was the most irritating part of his personality, I hated him for that. I was feeling lonely and scared,  but I wasn't alone.  I was feeling mixed up. I pulled out a rubber band out of my pocket to tie my hair and decided to get my much needed sleep. I sat down on the ground and took in a large amount of fresh air. I felt relaxed to have my lungs full of oxygen. I saw the sky was full of stars. I was planning to sleep when Jason came and sat down next to me.

'What does he want' I thought to myself.  He took out two cigarettes and lit the first one and handed it over to me, I took it from his hand reluctantly and placed it in my mouth, he lit the one for him and started to smoke. I was talking small puffs while he took long drags and produced an intense stream of white smoke, blowing it to the sky.  He rested his palms against the ground and tilted his head backwards .

I was watching him from the corner of my eye.  We sat there smoking , when he flicked off the ashes from his cig and looked at me.

"Hey Ronnie? " his tone was low.

"Yeah?" I asked

He paused for a while and then asked "Define Love?"

I looked at him puzzled, for a second I thought I had mistaken his words for something else. I asked him "Dude? you high?"

"Not enough!" he smirked and took a final drag at his ciggy and threw it as far as he possibly could. I cleared my throat and took my cigarette and rubbed the burning orange face to the ground until it went out. I was hoping he would have changed the subject by now but when I looked at him, he was already staring at me. I shrugged my shoulders to signal him that I had no idea what he wanted but he was determined.

"C"mon man its not that hard" he was waiting for an answer.

"Okay" I began saying. "To me" I paused. "Love is torturous. " I expressed my opinion.

"How?" he asked frowning.

"Well, I think, Love tortures people in a way that the desire of being loved, never reaches a point of satisfaction, where you have enough of it. You know what im sayin?"

He nodded slowly.

"If you don't have love you want it. If you do get love, you want more of it. You just don't get enough" when I finished my sentence,  I felt a strong craving for a drink. I was feeling embarrassed for some reason. Maybe the feeling was of shyness but it was really uncomfortable. 

"Well to me" Jason began talking. "Love is limitless" I nodded, even though I didn't understand what he meant.  " Love can be self denying but can be self centered too. It has no limits. it can be selfish ,mean ,hopeless and overrated but it can be selfless , kind , hopeful and strong." he was  looking up to the sky. I could not believe it was Jason saying all that beautiful stuff about love. "I bet, It would be wonderful to fall in love". The way he explained his thoughts had me melting.  I could feel my body heating up as I stared at him, sitting next to me.He looked at me with his hazel brown eyes which shone like crystal. Pale moonlight falling on his face and neck. I couldn't look at him like that. His lips were tempting me to kiss them. I looked away from him.

"Ronnie? " his voice called me. I looked at him gawkily, I was nervous about being alone with him, I had been sleeping in allies and park benches but all those times i was alone, this time i was with the guy i don't even like. I realized i was looking at him so clumsily when began to chuckle.

"What do you want?" i said disconnecting my eye contact with him.

"C'mon, i gotta show you something" He said laughing and stood up to his feet. I wondered for a second what could it be but he offered his hand and lifted me up, I was afraid that i might be blushing, and if Jason saw it he must make a big joke out of it, but luckily the moonlight was in my favour. He walked stiffly on the ground and made his way to the car. 

He asked me to sit in the passenger's seat while he got "The thing" from the trunk of the car. I was sitting impatiently, having a fight with my own self. A part of my brain was telling me that 'he will come back with a big knife and stab me, maybe a gun to shoot me', but the other part kept saying 'no he wont hurt me, he might be an asshole, but he wont hurt me' I was in a war when i saw him shut the trunk in the rear-view mirror. I felt my heart at my throat, I was taking deep breaths. 'I hope he doesn't kill me'  I kept praying.