43. Confrontation Style

Refresher:   Jeremy is Hazel's older Brother. Uncle Will is her dad's best friend and a man whose like an uncle to her. Baldy is Julian and he attacked Hazel a few chapters ago. Ridge is Coda's younger brother who was murdered. Roberto is that one eyed man from a few chapters ago who Coda was hoping he could trust to hack the flash drive. Tristan stayed back to make sure Roberto didn't betray them.

warning: Mild violence

Please vote and comment!      

~*~           

Chapter 43

I, Hazel Reed, am a runner.

Not the cross-fit, intense kind of the runner but the kind that runs at the first hint of a confrontation.

I don't do well in uncomfortable situations.

Looking back in my life, every uncomfortable confrontation ranging from confronting my family about hiring Coda to telling Coda how I really felt about him, my first instinct was always to run.

Now flash back to the present and that instinct to run hasn't changed.

As I stare at the devil himself—Cordero— with a sick smirk on his lips, all I want to do is turn and run.

If there is one thing that would keep me from running though, it was collapsed on the floor right in front of me.

My body is frozen and my scream is lodged in my throat as I stare at Jeremy's bloody body.

Coda tries to hold me back from leaving the safety of his arms but I shove him away, running to Jeremy.

He groans as I gently turn his face to me, his right eye swollen with blood dripping down from the corner of his lips.

"Jeremy?" I choke.

Every instinct of mine to run is halted but the sight of my bloodied, older brother in front of me. If there was one way to keep me from running, it was dangling Jeremy's safety in front of me.

"Hey there short stack," he coughs, attempting to joke.

I swallow my tears, brushing his hair back as I feel Coda step close to me.

"Your plan to have him take the flash drive to the police failed epically my boy," Cordero says, laughing at Coda.

I glance up at Coda bewildered.

Coda's gaze flickers down to me for the briefest of moments before returning to Cordero to shoot him a fierce glare.

"You weren't supposed to know about it," Coda says calmly.

Cordero's gaze darkens. "I wouldn't have to be so harsh if you just listened to me."

Coda scoffs. "You were apart of Coda's plan?" I ask Jeremy accusingly, trying to wipe his blood off his face.

Jeremy attempts to sit up and I help him.