15. Crappy Crayons

15.

            I shiver, cupping the coffee in my hands.

            Why was it that I look like a mangled Cat in the Hat while Coda looked like a male supermodel for Hollister?

            Coda sits across from me, looking dry and cozy.

            I glower at him when he laughs and quickly tries to cover it up with a cough.

            Now that I actually thought about it, was this all apart of the contract?

            I trail my gaze down his chiseled face to the way he slouched in his chair-all of it enough to set my heart racing.

            A lump forms in my throat and all of a sudden, it hits me- hard.

            We never actually made a contract….

            I freeze, the cup hallway to my lips.

            “We never made a contract,” I whisper in disbelief.

            Coda looks up from the menu, his gaze bored.

            “And?”

            I set m coffee down. “Well I mean, I think we should know what we’re getting ourselves into before-“

            “-I am going to your sister’s wedding pretending to be your boyfriend-“ Coda interrupts, impatient.

            I huff. Why wasn’t he taking this seriously?

            “I know that, but don’t you think we should have something stated like ‘Coda shall not reveal the secret in any circumstance and Hazel must deliver the money’?”

            “Why are you worrying about this?” Coda asks me, narrowing his eyes.

            I swallow hard, my face burning. I couldn’t put it into words what I was feeling- all I knew was that this was going to end at some point and I had to be prepared.

            “It’s just a safety precaution,” I dismiss, shaking as I lift the coffee to my lips.

            Coda sets down his menu. Oh Oh.

            “Why are you so scared? You’re not signing your life away, Hazel,” Coda say, clenching his jaw.

            Why was he so angry?

            I glare back at him, feeling defensive. I didn’t need to explain my reasons to him.

            “I-I just want to write one up to make sure that-“ I pause, trying to regain my composure. “-To make sure that when this ends, we both know what to expect.”

            Coda sighs in exasperation, his eyes piercing mine. “When this is all over, we both go back to our regular lives- you being pampered and me working at your father’s shop.”

            Ouch. That hurt.

            I sit back, hurt that he still thought that I was a pampered brat. Coda looks away from me, a storm brewing in his eyes.

            “Why are you being like this? I just want to have something to define what we are,” I say, quietly

            The lump was growing in my throat. Why did I have to bring this up now? Everything was going perfect before.