23. "Why Is There Poop On Your Face?"

• Dedicated to all of you with bravery in your hearts

             Chapter 23 

           “So you’re telling me that I’ll be beautiful once I put these cucumbers on my face,” I say skeptically, flopping onto my bed.

            Addy looks up from her pristine platter of sliced cucumbers-locally grown and blessed with “super beautifying antioxidants” (or so she says).

            “Don’t doubt me,” she says, glaring at me.

            I shrug, reaching over to pluck one off the plate to eat. “It’s cucumbers dude, it’s going to take a lot more that a few pickles to make this face a sight to see.”

            “You’ll see. Patience young grasshopper,” she coos, throwing me a pointed look, her crazy hair in a tight pony ail at the top of her head.

            I exhale, flopping back onto the bed. It was no use arguing with her.

            She was convinced that this “beauty session” would work wonders but to be honest, it was probably just a load of crap.

            Fifteen minutes later, just when Addy is about to toss my body out the window from all my snide comments, Gwen walks in hearing all the commotion.

            “What is going on here? It sounds like you guys are in a death match over a boy again,” Gwen exclaims leaning against the door.

            I throw her a sheepish look, flinching when Addy slaps my hand away from grabbing another cucumber. “She’s trying to make me pretty.”

            Addy snorts. “You’re words not mine.”

            I frown, opening my mouth to argue that it was her idea but Gwen intervenes-like she’s always done- her lips puckered in amusement.

            “You’re arguing because you don’t want cucumbers on your face?” Gwen asks me, somewhat disbelieving.

            “Yeah…” I drawl. It was the most obvious thing in the world.

            “Honey, people pay for people to do this to them,” Gwen chuckles, her long wavy hair falling past her shoulders.

            I pout when Addy grins at Gwen having taken her side. “Can we just get some pickles and call this a day?”
            “Pickles are not cucumbers!” Addy exclaims.

            “Yes they are!” I argue back.

            “Well fine, they are, but they’re technically not the same-“
            “Do this to Jeremy, he likes pickles,” I say lowly, wiggling my eyebrows at Addy.

            She stops short, her face blushing a furious red as she is rendered speechless before she grabs onto a pillow, Thor-slamming it onto my face (the way she always did).

            Gwen bursts out in laughter as I flop back onto the bed, seeing stars.

            I can only make out Addy’s partial screeching-

            “I don’t like him!-“

            “He’s cute but-“

            lalalalalalalalalalala.

            I groan, covering my ears. “Just shut up and paste me with some cucumbers.”

            Addy mutters something under her breath, pinching my nose and causing me to protest in irritation before she begins to layer pickles-I mean cucumbers- on my face.