7. Road Tip Rule #1-Don't Piss Off the Driver

Chapter 7

            “Just relax,” Coda breathes, his hands finding their way to my waist.

            I lean back further against his car, a scowl on my face. “easy for you to say, you’re not the one with a crazy sister who is about to kill you for missing that plane.”

            Coda rolls his eyes. “You guys are going like a month before the wedding as a mini vacation anyways so it’s not like you’re going to be late or anything.”

            The smell of gasoline fills my nose and my gaze flickers down the gasp pump beside the car as it fills the tank.

            Oh dear, we were really going to cross the entire country.

            Coda’s dark hair falls over his eyes as he peers down at me, a calm mask on his face as he cages me in.

            “Do you have any DUI’s or reckless driving tickets?” I ask, scrutinizing him.

            He snorts and I am vaguely aware that from this position, we look like a couple.

            Yeah right, a couple- with this moron?

            “I am a very capable driver,” he says.

            I tap my chin nervously with my pointer finger and Coda smirks at me, knowing that his persuasion has won me over.

            “Fine,” I grunt. “But if I die, I will personally smite your butt with a roll of thunder and lightning.”

            Coda laughs lowly, a sultry smile playing on his lips.

            “Right, well if you die, it won’t be from my driving,” Coda chuckles, pushing off the car to turn and take the gas pump out of the car.

            I gape at him. “What is that supposed to mean?”

            “Anything you want,” Coda mutters, opening the drivers door and slipping in.

            Huffing, I stomp around the car to the passenger seat, yanking the door open and slamming it shut.

            Coda winces. “Really? Show a little respect.”

            “To the car?” I snap.

            Coda glares at me, a frown on his face. “This car is a classic. It took forever just to restore and refurnish-“

            “If you don’t stop talking, we’ll get there by the time I’m all old and wrinkly,” I interrupt him, snapping my seatbelt.

            “If I wait just a little bit longer, maybe you’ll get so old, you’ll die,” he retorts, throwing the car into gear.

            Two hours and fourteen minutes later, I am feeling carsick.

            I close my eyes, resting my head against the window.

            “Are you okay?” Coda asks.

            I sigh. “Yeah, I just get car sick.”

            When I don’t hear Coda say anything, I open my eyes, glancing over at him.

            “Just don’t puke in the car,” Coda says wincing.

            “Just because you said that, I am going to do that,” I say, annoyed.