The Mage Chap 5

"What do you want?" My words came out monotonous.

"What kind of service is this?!" The customer who's looking like in his late 50's glares at me.

"I just asked you what you want you old--mm!"

"I'm so sorry, He's a new recruit. Please enjoy your free entrée."

This woman-- I mean, Katherine drag me in the kitchen.

"That is not the way to serve the customers, Lucas!" She scolded.

"My Master will not serve no one!" Sig growled and entwine his arm with mine. He was an assistant cook now. We just found out he can cook pretty well.

"Sig, get back to work." I said and he grin at me, nodding. He loves cooking and I'm happy he found something to do that he likes. Me, on the other hand..

"Fine, I'm sorry but that old fart is getting on my nerves!"

"That "old fart" is a valuable customer." She didn't seemed amused as she prop one hand on her hip.

"You have to be respectful and don't just say 'what-do-you-want'. That is not the way to do it!" She said with an air quote. How old is she anyway? I just shrug with a permanent scowl on my face.

"Don't shrug, Mister."

"Okay! Fine.. I'll be nice." I fake a smile and take the menu off her hands.

"I'll be watching, Lucas."

"Yeah, you do that, woman."

"That's Mrs. Haynes to you, sweetheart." I huff and got out of the kitchen to serve this damn custo-- Erm.. This 'valuable' customers.

*****

"School starts next week, dear. Here's your uniforms. Fill up this forms and pass it to me tomorrow." She says and hands over a paper bag of my school uniform. It is of course, the uniform I saw in that man's - James' - school. I read the form and on the bottom of the every page has a line. A signature line.. for my parents.

"Look, Katherine.. Can I sign this instead?" I asked and she eyed me bemusedly.

"No, Lucas. Your parents need to sign them. Go home, it's late." Home, huh.

"Here." I handed her the papers when I came to work. Sig is already in the kitchen, cooking. He was way too eager for work. Tsk.

"Uh-huh.." Her green eyes that looked darker under the lights of her office, scanned my forms and every time she flips a page she would narrow her eyes at me.

"You filled up everything except this." She pointed at that stupid line. ".. and this." Another line on the next page. "This too." Of course all the pages were not signed. I get it!

"Doesn't my sign count?" I tried to reason out but she just narrowed her eyes at me and huffed.

"Lucas, honey you can tell me if something is wrong. Where are your parents? Let me talk to them for you." I sighed and shrug.

"Don't shrug." She scolds. Ugh this woman!

"Well.. I kinda.. live alone. Just me and Sig." I answered finding the carpeted floor more interesting than her.

"You live alone?" She sounded taken-aback by that.

"I am 18. Well.. Almost 18 anyway."

"You are still ta minor, Lucas. Anyway, just go back to your house and have it sign."

"I left that house. Should I repeat my self?" I groan out and she just eyed me still waiting for an explanation.

"I can't okay. You signed it."

"Me? You need a parental consent! You are still a minor."

"I'm almost 18! Ugh.. Fine! I don't have a home okay! My mom and dad both have their own families and I live alone with Sig. They let me leave that house. My mother even pack my luggage for me." I huffed and stood up.

"If you don't like to sign it then don't enroll me in your damn School! If you excuse me Mrs. Haynes, I'm going to work." I storm out of her office and proceed downstairs.

"Lucas, I'll pick you up on Monday at 8am, okay?" Katherine's kind smile was the last thing I picture when I sleep that night.

Monday.. I'll finally be back to school. She signed the papers. Guess that makes her like my guardian now until Tuesday anyway. That's my birthday.