Double Agent

Your lungs scorched with exhaustion and fear as you and König were cornered. You two were far outnumbered. Hands trembling as you held your pistol out at the surrounding army, you shakily exhaled. This was the end for the both of you.

"König..." You muttered, "I love you. It's... an honor to die alongside you." Your voice clipped with sadness, before it trailed out into a weak gasp. König's gun hooked from aiming at the agents, to aiming at you.

"Vergib mir, Liebling." König whispered.

"W-what i....i dont understand" i say with a short nervous laugh "Konig what?!"

As König lowered his gun, he approached you. The enemy agents were frozen, likely sensing the conflict of emotions that had overtaken the two lovers.

"Forgive me my love."

He brought a single finger to your chin, lifting your head up to gaze at him. It was that moment. The moment you felt your body go numb with fear and sadness as you looked into his icy blue eyes. The moment you felt your heartbeat quicken in spite of the situation.

"This isn't the plan I had in mind..."

I slapped his hand away from my face, anger, betrayal, and sadness reflecting in my eyes "How!" i yelled as i shoved him hard not caring for the dozen guns aiming at my head "How could you?!" i seethed angrily

König was struck aback with the force of your shove. In the moment, you had a small chance to run. But as you saw his eyes tear up, your heart froze once again, the feeling of heartbreak now overtaking you.

"Don't you understand...I had no choice." He lowered his head, his voice no longer angry but filled with pure desperation and sadness.

"I was forced into this life. I was forced to work with this agency...and now I'm forced to hurt you."

"No" i say shaking my head as i shoved a finger towards his chest "If you wanted to, you would have left, if you wanted to, you wouldn't do this" i say jabbing my finger at his chest with every word "Just stop...stop trying to manipulate me stop trying to get into my fuckin head!"

For the first time in a long time, your aggressive and defiant attitude made his heart flutter.

"There is nothing I want more than to hold you. To protect you. To be free of this life." He reached out and grasped your cheeks in his hands, drawing you in close.

"But there is nothing I fear more than losing you."

An unspoken truth between you two.

"You'll never understand the forces that govern my life..."

I laughed sarcastically "Fuck you" i spat.

The words stung his heart. In his eyes, he saw you at your weakest, the person he loved the most. It killed him from the inside out.

He pulled away, his eyes hardening for a moment in his pain.

"Do you understand how much it kills me knowing that you'll hate me?"

"You know how much it kills me thinking everything was a lie?!" i spat back with vigour.

"I promise you..."

His eyes fluttered for a brief moment, as if something within him was cracking. The cold and harsh mask he had carried over his face for his whole life was slipping.

"I would have loved you with my whole body and soul. You are the only person I've ever felt this way about. I've tried to convince myself that I could find you again in another lifetime."

His words were so desperate.

I shook my head no "Just kill me already" i whispered "Better than hearing your excuses"

An eerie silence fell as the enemy agents stood, still. Time seemed to stand still. Everything was silent.

His cold and hard expression softened only slightly. The corner of his mouth turned up in pain, his icey blue eyes filling with tears.

In a final moment of pure desperation, he squeezed your hand tightly, as if wanting to make a point.

"You were my plan."

I ignored him and stared off into the distance, deciding if i should take my shot and run or just give up.

The sound of footsteps and the cocking of rifles cut through the silence.

With one final glance at you, König turned and lifted his gun at the forces facing him once more. With one glance behind him, he made one final request.

"Run."

I didn't spare him another glance as i snatched my pistol from my thigh holster, sprinting past the enemies surround me and switching the safety off as i dashed towards the treeline.

As you ran off, you heard a barrage of gunfire erupt behind you. The sound was deafening as gun smoke, dust and bullets filled the air.

You ran towards the tree line for a good thirty seconds, and at the edge of the clearing you paused for a moment. The silence of the forest was your own, save for the ringing in your ears.

A slight rustle could be heard in the bushes.

Taking a quick glance behind me, i began descending down the steep hill, trying my best not to fall, but as my foot got stuck over a tree root, i yelped loudly as i tumbled down the hill, landing on my back as i cried out in pain, flipping my body over until i was pulling myself up, sounds of discomfort passing through.

Suddenly, the rustling in the bushes grew louder. As you picked yourself off the ground, you saw him.

König was approaching you. He had taken his mask off, revealing a face that was filled with cuts, bruises and scuffs. His hair was disheveled and messy, yet he still looked absolutely stunning.

He was approaching you, with a soft look in his eyes. You knew in that moment what he intended to do.

"Stay the fuck away from me" i hissed as i took slow steps backwards, the throbbing pain in my ankle screaming in protest.

His voice was steady, but his eyes betrayed his heart.

He took one step towards you. Then another, then another.

With each step, he repeated one thing with such calmness.

"I can't do that."

I lifted my gun up slowly with shaky hands and aimed it at him. My hands shook as tears threatened to spill "I'll fuckin shoot you if i have to"

"Then shoot me."

His words remained calm.

He continued coming towards you despite your gun being aimed at his chest.

As he approached, he looked down at you, his eyes filled with anguish and agony, all that he had tried to hide away.

"I don't care if I die anymore. I lost you..."

"You really think i wont shoot you!" i yelled.

"I know you wont"

"Im not fucking around Konig get lost" i pleaded.

"Shoot me" he taunted.

I shot his right leg, sending him down to one knee in pain,

"You know what Konig, you've always had a choice" i saw with tears brimming my eyes as i turned to leave again.

"I'll find you Mein Liebling and when i do you will never leave me again"