Chapter 29

Whitney's POV

***Two Months Later***

Gazing at myself in the mirror a smile came to my face. My dark makeup and red lips were flawless. My hair was cascading down my back with small white flowers woven in. A black jeweled crown sat on top of my head gleaming under the lights. I turned to look at my back. The once ugly word carved into my skin like a branding on prized cattle was now barely noticeable. Declan had found the best plastic surgeon who had spent weeks lazer treating it causing it to fade to a distant memory.

I sucked in a shaky breath thinking about everything in the last few months. Declan had shown me so much patience and love. The day Ivan and his men came to pick up Jacob I stood at Declan's side brave and unwavering as Jacob pleaded with me for mercy. That day I told myself I would now longer allow my past to dictate my future.

"Whitney! What are you doing in there?" Bridget yelled at me from the other side of the door.

I chuckled at my very impatient friend. Her and Charlotte had been at my side every day helping me plan and prep for the wedding. Helping me heal and feel like part of the family in a way I'd never thought I could. 

"Hold your horses!" I giggled walking into the bedroom.

The black satin ball gown hung on the closet door in all it's glory. I loved it when I picked it out but with my newfound lease on life I loved it more.

"You look beautiful, love!" Bridged smiled, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Thank you! You do as well!" I smiled back and took in her long black hair pulled into a soft updo. Her black floor length gown with a slit up the leg hugged her curves in all the right ways. We had decided on an all black theme and as my bridesmaid she was dressed to impress.

"I know I do but not near as good as you." She motioned me over to help me into my dress.

As she pulled it on and zipped me in I felt a happiness crash over me. I'd fought so damn hard to get here and now today was the day. The business had been running so smoothly and efficiently everyone felt a huge relief that they were no longer in constant danger. 

"Doc?" Jessie yelled before walking into the room with a black velvet box in his hands.

"Jessie what if she was naked?!" Bridget scolded him.

"It's fine she isn't my type anyway." He smirked at her and she hit his chest.

"I just needed to drop this off from the groom. A groom who hasn't quit pacing the room and is making us all crazy." A giggled at the thought of Declan nervously pacing around.

"Tell him to relax today is going to be perfect." I smiled, taking the velvet back and folded paper from his hand.

"Yea I'll go ahead and try that then we can just roll this wedding into my funeral." Jessie sighed

"Thank you Jess, I'll see you soon." Bridget ushered him out of the room.

"What is it!" She giggled rushing back over to me.

Opening the velvet box I felt happy tears spring to my eyes. In the velvet box was a dainty silver chain with a royal blue gem at the end small diamonds lined around the blue gem. It reminded me of his eyes, the deep blue color that sparkled in the light.

"That's your something blue." Bridget breathed out her voice cracking as I handed it over to her.

As Bridget's hands got to work placing the new pendant on my neck I opened his letter with shaky hands.

Doc,
The last six months have been a whirlwind for us to say the very least. But I can now confidently say that I wouldn't want anyone else by my side but you through it all. Your love, support, push back and resilience have made me a better man. You came crashing into my life when I was an angry broken man and today we will leave hand in hand as man and wife stronger and happier than ever. I owe you so much more than I think I'll ever be able to repay you but I will spend everyday until my dying breath trying. Whitney Keller I can not wait another minute for you to be my wife and I do hope you feel the same. Our future together is a bridge spot in my mind and I have only you to thank for that. I love you beautiful girl today, tomorrow and forever I'll see you down the aisle.
-Declan