Chapter 05

Whitney's POV

The water beaded up in my body running down as I sunk into the warm waters embrace. The last couple days have been a whirlwind of events. From finally escaping my abuser to working for the mafia and now that intense spark when Declan's hand touched mine. It was like running down a hill with no way to stop. Things just kept happening faster and faster and I had no way to slow them down, no way to stop and catch my breath. I was just at the mercy of fate.

Stepping out of the shower I dried off placing my hair up in a messy bun and pulling on some leggings a white tank and my blue zip up jacket I made my way over to my dresser. Reaching inside I found my emergency cigarettes.

I wasn't a smoker per say I just used them when I was stressed. I kept a pack on me at all times just on the rare occasion I needed one. It was a nasty habit, one I couldn't help but smile to myself about. Pops always smoked. It was a comforting smell when I smelled it. I would remember his big bear hugs as a child. Stuffing them into my pocket along with my 'kind of a big dill' pickle lighter I made my way outside to the back garden.

As I rounded the corner just before the door leading outside Tommy caught my eye. He must be feeling better after getting some fluids and a forced nap in. His eyes met mine and something in his flashed like a dark storm rolling in over the bay. Before I knew what happened I was shoved into a wall. His forearm pressed to my neck lifting me slightly so my feet were barely touching the ground.

Panic rose up in me as I tried to fight the flashbacks of Jacob. I struggle under the pressure of his arm only making him push in harder. My breathing became rapid and erratic. I finally made it out of hell only to stumble into a new one.

"You think you can just spy without anyone picking up on it!" He was screaming in my face spit flying out with every word.

I tried to speak to ask him what the hell he was talking about but his large arm cutting off my oxygen supply was making it hard to find my voice. I struggled against him more looking around for anyone to help me.

"I ought to cut your tongue out where we fucking stand!" The venom in his voice was deadly. I had no clue what he thought I was caught up in but it obviously wasn't good.

"The American trash almost fucking killed him! How did they know where he would be? How come you show up and now we're dealing with this shit?" The more I struggled the angrier he got. I felt hot tears overflowing as I thought about Jacob and how this was the exact way he used to treat me when he was accusing me of something.

"Cry all you want devil bitch they aren't going to save you now." I watched his hand go to his pocket pulling out a small silver blade. Tears came faster as I felt my hands start to numb from panic.

"Tommy fucking drop her or I'll kill you where you stand!" A voice boomed from around us pulling Tommy's attention away from me for a minute.

Declan stood at the end of the hall his eyes held a murderous rage as he looked at the situation before him. In what seemed like only three strides Declan was up next to Tommy ripping him away from me, sending me crashing to the ground and him sprawling across the floor.

"What did I fucking tell you! I would handle it, not you!" Declan screamed sending a hard kick to Tommy's side

"Dec someone had to find out sooner than later!" Tommy yelled back at him trying to scramble away

"That someone was me and if you ever lay hands on her again I'll fucking kill you." Declan was no longer screaming but his quiet voice was almost scarier than the yelling.

He reached a hand out helping me to my feet as I tried to get myself to calm down. My breathing was coming out in heaves and my body was shaking. I felt like the walls were closing in on me as I backed away from his touch. Both men were staring at me like I was made of glass and might shatter at a moment's notice. Before I could even try and stop my feet I took off in a dead sprint out the door. More yelling and cursing followed but I didn't have time to stop and see.