Chapter 03

Whitney's POV

Annie texted me early this morning letting me know I didn't have to come in and if they needed me they would call. That was my position 'physician on call' along with my other position as Declan's 'arm candy' I cringed at the word.

I made my way down to what was shown to be my office. Pushing the door open I drew in a sharp breath and I beheld the sight before me. It was like a time capsule. A thick layer of dust covered the large oak desk in the center of the room. Picture frames lined the desk with pictures I had long since forgotten. Diplomas hung on the wall with Pops name beautifully signed on them. A twinge of pain rose up in my chest. I adored that man growing up before he went away before he left me with my parents who were too busy working to notice me. He always sent letters and cards encouraging me to find my place in the world, to be kind but strong and always help others around me. What a simpler time that was. Long before I became a human punching bag, long before I looked at my body with shame and long before Jacob's sinister words were burned into my brain like a bad tattoo.

The sound of someone clearing their throat ripped me away from my thoughts. Spinning around I met Declan's cold eyes. A shiver ran through me as his eyes wandered my body with a look of animalistic hunger. Like if I made one wrong move he would make it my last.

"Hello." My voice was small and weak as I tried to make myself sound non threatening.

"Is that the only outfit you own?" A look of disgust flash over his face.

I looked down at my feet studying the ground waiting for his hard to reach out and strike me. However that moment never came, tension building around us.

"Speak when I ask you a question." He closed the gap between us pulling my chin up to look at him, his voice low and serious.

"Yes it is. I didn't leave with much, I didn't have time to pack." For a brief moment his gaze softened.

"Tommy and Jessie have some business to attend to at the mall. I will send you with, buy what you need and pick out a couple formal dresses for some events you will be attending with us." For a moment I was going to protest as I didn't have much in terms of money. Until Declan reached in his pocket pressing a credit card to my hand.

"This is yours, use it for what you need whenever you need it including things for the clinic. I expect expense reports at the end of every month." Before I had time to protest he left me standing there alone with a black card in my hand and electricity running through me from where his fingertips brushed.

***
The drive to the mall was quite on my end. Tommy and Jessie chatted up front about business things I didn't quite hear or care to listen about.

Jessie was kind; he had much softer features than the others with dark brown hair and stubble on his face like he hadn't saved in a couple days. He had chatted with me some asking where I was from and went to school just small talk.

"Doc, we're here!" Jessie said in a sing-song voice.

"Please just call me Whitney."  I smiled climbing out the back of the car.

"No can do Doc! The only one to call Henry by his name was Declan you will get the same respect after all you earned that title" Jessie held his arm out for me to take which I did hastily.

As we made our way into the mall entrance I couldn't help but notice the looks from employees and patrons alike. Almost like the big bad wolves were coming in to blow some houses down.

"We have some business to attend to and we'll be done in about an hour. My number is in your phone. I'll call when we're done and try to be finished by then." Tommy spoke up sounding less than enthusiastic that I was along with them for the day. I had caught a small bit before we left, Tommy protesting taking me with them to Declan who didn't want to hear it.