Chapter 10

Whitney's POV

This week had been wild to say the least. Cold and flu season ramping up kept me busy at the clinic. The engagement party Declan's mom and Bridget were planning was a different monster altogether. I'd yet to meet his parents but I would get to today before the party.

The house was abuzz with people in an out setting up. Beautiful floral arrangements and other decor were being marched in a set up. Caterers were scurrying around in the kitchen. A party planner shouting orders from the center of the bottom part of the house. It looked like chaos, beautiful and very expensive chaos.

"Whitney!" Bridget's shrill yelling pulled me from my gawking.

I looked over at her and saw her bounding up to me. Her raven hair tied up in beautiful smooth curls, her icey eyes looking straight into my sole.

"What's up?" I gave her a weak smile trying to take it all in.

"You should start getting ready or at least take a bath and relax before the hair and makeup team comes to find you!" She was so excited I could see it in her eyes. This was her type of thing.

When Bridget had asked to help I pretty much gave her total creative freedom for the entire thing. She was so happy the hug she crushed me in almost broke my bones. Something told me the only people who knew this upcoming wedding wasn't a sure fire thing nor was it real love was Declan and myself.

"Bridget Elane!" Both of our heads jerked to the side as we saw them. There was no mistaking it Declan and Bridget's parents were approaching us. I felt like I had swallowed sand just looking at them.

She had sharp features and her jet black hair was pulled up into a smooth and tight classic updo. Her legs seemed to go for miles and her lips were drawn into a tight hard line. She held the arm of a man with the same raven colored hair only he had the same striking eyes as the twins. He walked with a cane and I could tell she was holding on to keep him from stumbling. To the untrained eye you would not guess that. But the slightest tremor was moving his hand.

"Mama you are early." Bridget said, pulling her into a small side hug and giving her father a kiss on the cheek.

Her parents both eyed me cautiously like they were looking for something wrong with me. Maybe they did know about the arrangement.

"Hello Mr and Mrs O'Rayn I'm Whitney." I tried to maintain eye contact but the burning stairs made me shift uncomfortably on my feet.

"Please dear we are about to be family! I'm Charlotte and this is my husband Thomas." She pulled me into a tight hug taking me by surprise.

"Are you Irish lass?" Mr O'Ryan finally spoke up, eyeing me up and down a look I could not. Same in his eyes.

"I do believe I have some decent on my mothers side. She gave me the red hair and green eyes." I felt my cheeks heat up as he gave me a small but knowing smile.

I don't know why meeting my fake fiancé's parents made me this nervous. Maybe it was the way they exuded power simply by walking in the room or the way that they didn't have a hair out of place. My wild red main and tired bags under my eyes were the far opposite of these people.

"We are so happy you are joining the family. A doctor who would have thought our Declan could actually pick a partner with beauty and brains." Mrs O'Ryan gushed

"Thank you Mrs- Charlotte." The look she gave me before I almost called her Mrs O'Ryan told me I better listen to what she had told me to call her.

"No dear we're going to finish up here making sure these people don't have a thing out of place! You go up and take a nice soak before your hair and make up team arrive to help you get ready!" She shooed up to take some time for myself and I shot Bridget a helpless look which she only just snicked at.