18. Ash

I found myself standing in a dimly lit room, facing a figure whose features were shrouded in shadow. But I know it is someone I dearly loved... My heart recognizes him.

"Please, don't leave me," I begged, my voice cracking as tears streamed down my cheeks.

But no matter how loud I screamed, the figure remained silent, its face hidden from view. The desperation in my voice echoed off the walls, but the figure began to fade, slipping away from me like smoke in the wind. As it vanished, I was left alone, the echoes of my cries haunting the empty space around me.

I collapsed to my knees, the weight of my sorrow pressing down on me like a leaden cloak. The room seemed to close in around me, suffocating me with its emptiness.

"Why won't you stay?" I whispered to the void, my words lost in the silence. But there was no answer, only the echoes of my own anguish reverberating through the darkness.

I clutched at the air, grasping for something, anything to hold onto, but there was nothing there, just the cold, unforgiving emptiness of the room.

"Ash... Ash..." I heard someone calling. "Ash..."

I feel a gentle hand on my shoulder, stirring me from the depths of my dream. Blinking away the remnants of the nightmare, I slowly open my eyes to find a concerned gaze fixed upon me.

"J-Jack?" My voice is hoarse, still thick with sleep and the lingering fear from the dream.

"Yeah, Ash, it's me," he says softly, his voice a soothing balm to my frazzled nerves.

The memory of the dream fades, replaced by the warmth of his presence beside me. I reach out, grasping his hand tightly, needing the reassurance of his touch.

"I'm here," he murmurs, his words a promise of safety and comfort. "You're safe now. It was just a bad dream."

I nod, swallowing past the lump in my throat. His presence alone is enough to chase away the lingering shadows of fear that had threatened to engulf me.

"Thank you," I whisper, grateful for his calming presence in the midst of the storm that raged within my mind.

He smiles, a gentle expression that crinkles the corners of his eyes. "Anytime. I'm just here."

With that assurance, I allow myself to stay calm and feel his warmth. His touch and the feeling of his embrace aren't familiar, a bit strange. But I erased it all. I hit my head and according to Papa I was suffering with Selective amnesia so there are certain memories that I didn't remembered. But what matters most is, I'm with Jack now...

I don't know what happened to Papa that he just gave me and Jack the freedom we want at the moment, probably because I got involved in an accident. But seeing the two of them in one room without throwing dagger looks on each other makes me so happy.

"Hey..." I said to Jack quietly, he fidgets and looked at me. "Are you okay? Don't worry about me..." I assured him because he looks so uncomfortable.

"N-no! I'm good."

"Scared with Papa?" I said chuckling.

He sighed, causing me to smile. "You should get used to it. We've been here before."

He chuckles a bit. "Of course."

"Maybe you should get going son?" Papa suddenly chimes in and my heart couldn't contain its happiness when I heard him calling Jack son.

Wow! Maybe I have forgotten the memory of them reconciling? Although, I can't deny the fact that it really hurts to know that my mom is not here anymore to see Papa forgiving Jack after what happened.

"Yeah, I probably should." He says.

"What? You just got here!" I complained.

"He needs to go sweetheart, he can't be late on his flight." Papa says.

"Where to? Business meeting?" I asked.

"I'm flying to New York for a game." Jack answers.

"A game?" I asked completely confused.

"Hockey game. NHL? Haven't you remembered?" Jack says.

I tried, remembering it. But I can't. A memory of him playing for the NHL was a complete blank. All I know was that he is an accounting officer in my father's company.

"I-- I can't remember anything." I said.

"Don't stress yourself out honey." Papa chimes in. "But yup! Jack plays for the NHL, he plays for our team New Jersey Devils. And I don't know if you remembered it but I bought the franchise."

"Okay..." I said still trying to process everything.

Jack glances over his watch and beamed at me. "Well, I gotta go now. Plane leaves in an hour."

"Oh, right! I guess you should. When will you be back?" I asked.

"I'll be back just right when you need me." Jack says and was about to walk but I stopped him.

"What about my kiss?" I demanded.

Jack looked at me surprised and then looked at my father, probably trying to ask for permission which was weird. I saw my dad nodding and so Jack went back hugged me, and to my surprise he just kissed me on my forehead and bid goodbye.

Weird.