10. Ash

I'm starting to regret coming tonight, because ever since the start of scrimmage Jack Hughes had been looking my way subtly winking, every chance that he can get. And I am just literally seating right next to my Dad!

I don't know how he manages to see me clearly when the whole Prudential center is filled with hockey fans. I mean, I am currently seating at the executive suites but still! This is way too far, I guess. I'm short-sighted by the way.

I felt Ellen slightly nudging me.

"Jack told me earlier that he tried asking you on a date." Ellen says lowering her voice down because Papa is just right next to me.

I snorted. "Yeah, he did."

"And?"

I rolled my eyes. "Obviously, I said no."

"Just why?"

"Girl, I don't know the guy!" I reasoned out still maintaining the lowest voice as much as we can.

"What do you mean you don't know?" Ellen complained in complete frustration pointing over at Hughes who's busy skating on the ice. "You don't know that guy? He is right there! And--"

I slapped her hands who are pointing over at Hughes. "Stop pointing at him!"

"Is there something wrong ladies?" My father suddenly chimes in causing us to stop our frustrated yet subtle secret conversation.

"Nothing!" I lied.

Papa just looked at me grinning and then looked back on the ice and then at me again. "Are you guys are sort of friends now or something?"

"What do you mean?" I asked. What was he talking about?

"I mean, you and Jack. Are you friends?"

I snorted for the nth time today. "Absolutely not. Why would you think so?"

"Because he keeps on looking at you, and even catch him winking at you."

"Urrgghh!!" I said glaring at him. Here we go again! Papa is really fund of teasing me with guys. I'm getting sick of it sometimes! "Stop it Papa, it is not funny."

"I am just telling you what I just saw." He says.

"Oohhh he's looking at you again..." Ellen commented and waved to Jack with complete excitement.

"Shut up Ellen!" I said and looked at Jack who is now waving back. I only glared at him.

Jezz! This guy is way too confident, which seems like it is already giving me a cocky vibe for some reason. I mean it is no surprise that pro-athletes especially hockey players are well-known as cocky but this one annoys me big time.

How did I just even agree on doing business with him earlier? Urgh! Now I am completely regretting everything that have happened today!

--

I wasn't really paying too much attention on the game. In fact, I am currently busying myself designing some necklaces for my clients on my tablet. And if you ask if it's for Jack's mom, you're wrong! I am totally not that inspired to start designing it because the thought of Jack is currently pissing me off right now.

I was just about to do some finishing touches on my sketch when Ellen and Papa jumps on their seat shouting. Just when I realized that the buzzer blasted and the crowd roared in cheer, Devils scored-- courtesy of Jack himself. Good for him!

"Did you see that? Did you see that?" Ellen said in complete excitement looking like a five year old while trying to shake my shoulder. "Oh my god!"

"Girl calm down!" I said.

"That was a beautiful goal!" Papa commented clapping his hands.

I rolled my eyes and just continue doing what I was doing, but I noticed a woman standing just two seats away from us wearing a Hughes jersey. Is that Jack's mom?

Out of curiosity I tapped on my Dad and ask him, there might be a chance that he knows his mom.

"Yeah?" My Dad answers.

"Is that Jack's mom?" I asked.

Papa nodded. "Do you want me to introduce you?"

"Oh no, no need. I was just curious." I answered.

Thankfully Papa was distracted by his friends talking about the goal Jack made earlier so he wasn't able to interrogate or question me as to why I asked him if that was Jack's mom out of nowhere.

The whole time, I was just looking at her-- studying her. She's pretty simple indeed, she's not wearing any jewelry aside from her dainty stud earrings and her wedding ring. I pretty much have a nice idea perfect for her.

"You better stop working Ash! Please, even just for an hour." I heard Ellen complaining.

"Seriously, just don't mind me." I said, but she grabbed my tablet. "Hey!!"

"You can continue doing this tomorrow. Watch the fucking game Atasha!" Ellen says, calling me by my real name. She's pretty serious indeed.

"Ellen is right darling. Just enjoy the game!" My Papa agrees.

"Alright! Alright! I'll watch. Now give me my tablet back." I demanded.

"Nope!" Ellen said. "I'm keeping it."

Now, I don't have any other choice! I just released a huge sigh to clear my frustrations...

--
We're already in the middle of the third period and the score is tied. Not going to lie, I'm a bit nervous or even starting to doubt the Devils. As I'm trying to analyze the whole game, Bruins is really strong and hard to beat. And if the Bruins scores first to kill the tied score, everyone will be disappointed again. Including Papa who just said earlier that if we lose he'll never watch the game live again because he feels like he's been carrying some bad luck with him. Not going to lie, I also felt the same.

Everybody is already standing up, including me completely hoping that the Devils will score and  the game won't lead into overtime or even a shootout.

Thirty seconds on the clock, Hischier skates down on the opponent's defensive line passing the puck to Jack swiftly, the Bruins defenseman didn't noticed. Jack snap a shot and the buzzer echoes... Devils killed the tied score, it's 4-3.

Never thought that I'll get carried away and found myself shouting!

And then... my heart skips when I looked at Jack.

He just skated around the rink standing straight stiffly looking at me and not doing anything. He didn't broke the eye contact not until his teammates hover down unto him celebrating his win.

Fuck! I cannot stop my heart from beating so fast. What the fuck is happening? I sat on my chair, grabbing my bottle of water and gulped unto it. I didn't drink any caffeinated beverages, why do I feel a sudden palpitation? Goodness!