6. Ash

After I met my VIP client as early as seven a.m. I immediately went downstairs to check on Ellen if she already arrived. I specifically told her last night to go to work early to help me assist my important client but she was nowhere to be found and I have to handle it all by myself because she's the only staff in here that I trusted in handling clients.

Just in time I arrived, she suddenly appears on the door looking as confident like it's as if she's not two hours late.

"Good morning everybody!" She greeted.

The other store staffs said their good mornings except for me. I just stared at her completely not impressed, she saw that.

"Oh come on Ash!" Ellen says walking towards me. "Technically I am just right on time!"

"Nope! I told you to come early and help me with an important client last night." I said.

"Of course I know that! But anyway, how did it go?"

"Well-- it went well... She trusted us to customize a jewelry set for her."

"Then you didn't need my help!" She says putting her arms around my shoulder. "You know sometimes you just need to trust yourself that you can handle things all by yourself."

I looked at her completely wondering as to why she keeps on saying weird things ever since last night.

"Hey, are you still drunk?"

"Nah, my head is just throbbing in pain. Can we please go to your office upstairs?" She says and did not wait for me to respond she just went straight to the stairs and didn't said anything.

I just told my store staff to take good care and to just call either me or Ellen if there's any problems right before following her upstairs. My office and the physical store of my jewelry business  is just in one building here in the heart of Newark City. This business is my baby and I want to be hands-on when it comes to running it despite of my hectic schedules, since I am also helping my father from running our family's   company. Although part of me doesn't want to inherit it and run it myself, I know how important the company is for my Dad. And same as me, our company is also his baby and he worked really hard for it to grow.

When I went inside my office, Ellen is already lounging at the couch while trying to massage her temples.

"I didn't thought that you were really drunk last night." I commented while grabbing some meds I stashed on my desk drawer and gave it to her. "Go grab some water on the mini-fridge."

"Just get it for me please." Ellen says not moving at all.

"Oh are you bossing around your boss right now?" I asked playfully but still proceeds to get her one.

"Only for now Ash, please! My head is killing me." She says. "I only drink champagne and a few cocktails last night."

"A few?" I repeated.

"Oh damn! I can't even remember how many drinks I devoured last night." She replied after taking the meds. I only shake my head and sat on my chair.

"Hangover is not an excuse for you to not work today Ellen." I reminded her and proceeded on the job that's waiting for me. "Suck it up! There are many clients lining up this month."

She sighs. "I know, just give me few minutes and I am good to work."

"Take your time!" I told her and started working.

"By the way, are you watching the home game tonight?"

"Probably not." I said trying to focus on reading my emails.

"Why not?"

"I'm just not interested on the game."

"Then what about seeing the guy from last night? What was his name again? Jack Hughes?"

I stopped. Yeah, that guy!

"What about him?"

"He's kinda cute." Ellen says which made me to roll my eyes.

"Yeah, whatever!"

"No, seriously! He's cute." Ellen says standing up and looked at me this time. "You should consider going out with him!"

"What?"

She grins nodding with complete encouragement written on her face.

"Girl, I have no interest on dating at all." I replied.

"Maybe you should start getting interested now."

"No thanks! I'm good. Do you know what you should go back to your work, it looks like you're okay now!"

"Nope!" She disagrees and lied down on the couch again. "Give me few minutes, but let's watch the game tonight though!"

"Nope!"

"Yes we are. You can't say no!"

"And why not?"

"Because I said so!"

"Ha! No." I firmly said. "I am the boss here, I should be the one who gets to be followed."

"We'll see about that." That's the only thing she said and proceeded to sleep. "You can't say no to your dad."

I sighed, she's right. Now what? This is my life now after my father bought a hockey franchise? I mean there is nothing to be upset about, I just don't want to be near that Jack Hughes guy after what he said to me last night.

Well he didn't do anything wrong as I try to study the whole conversation last night, it was just me overthinking things and judging all men. But I just felt something weird about that guy...

He's like...

He is...

Trouble.