𝖝𝖛. End of Beginning

With Pope gone, the three of them decided to pick up some of his work around the shop, so that at least, his parents won't be on his ass

With Pope gone, the three of them decided to pick up some of his work around the shop, so that at least, his parents won't be on his ass. Whatever happens, whatever road he went down, at least he wouldn't have to worry about that.

From time to time, Kathryn brushes the tip of the letter, peeking from her pocket. As if to reassure herself that it was still here, even if she couldn't use it. Her very own ticket out of here.

"Well, I appreciate the help, you guys," Misses Heyward tells them, cooking on her barbecue.

She offered to cook for them, after their hard work. And, well... "You know I ain't missing Misses Heyward's cooking," JJ says, wiping the table.

Kathryn snorts, putting the plates down. "Oh, we know." He makes a face at her. "What he means is 'thank you.'"

"You're welcome. Very polite, unlike my derelict son," Misses Heyward remarks. "He's usually here by now." JJ tries to get a piece of chicken, but she slaps his hand off.

"I'm sure he'll be back any second, Misses Heyward," Cleo tells her.

Kathryn hums. "He better be, or I'm eating everything."

"Any one of y'all moved the pistol from in there? The one I keep under the register?"

Heyward comes stomping from the shop, gesturing back inside. The trio stares at him, and then at each other. Surely... Everytime Kathryn starts a sentence with that word, she has to assume the very worst.

"JJ?"

Surprised, JJ holds up his hands. "Whoa, okay. I didn't touch it, okay?"

"Yeah, well, somebody did. 'Cause it's gone!"

He opens his mouth again, but Kathryn beats him to it, shaking her head, crossing her arms. "If JJ says it wasn't him, then it wasn't, Heyward."

Hypocritical, considering he just stole money from her dad. But in that case, she could squint and understand the motive. Her mom knew how to get under people's skin. JJ had no reason to steal that gun. She trusts him on that.