𝖎𝖝. Kook Queen

When Kathryn stops crying, she never starts again

When Kathryn stops crying, she never starts again. Her face takes on that same stone mask it did before she opened the door, and it never leaves. No one says anything, because they know that it's just the way it goes. Kathryn will shove what happened deep down until she explodes again. But they had time until then.

Billy flops on the armchair in front of the sofa, once they're done cleaning up the studio. "Am I really the only one thinking that JJ's weird?"

Cleo smacks her lips. "For breaking up with Kat? No, you're not."

"No, for the reasons why. I mean..." She sighs, shakes her head. "I just never pictured you guys breaking up."

"JJ goes haywire sometimes," Kie says, sitting on the couch, next to Sarah. "I genuinely think a brain cell kind of bursts up there. He'll come round."

"Don't think so," Kathryn says, joining her. Her voice is flat. "He wasn't... erratic. He just kept on saying he was sorry, that we were different, and that was it." She swallows thickly. "Whatever. Can we drop the subject?"

Sarah wrings her hands, leaning against the sofa. "Well um... I got something. I didn't want to say because obviously it wasn't the right time, but I went back home to grab clothes and my phone and you're not gonna believe this... Rafe is back."

Kathryn inhales sharply, running a hand down her face. "Of course he is."

JJ breaks up with her, and now Rafe's back on the island. That's just her luck in a sentence.

"Yeah. I saw him at the house. I don't think he saw me, but I think the Cross is coming back. To Wilmington, tomorrow night."

"What?" Kie lets out.

The Darcy rubs her forehead. "Yeah, figures, seeing as his deal with Singh fell through, he'll probably try to sell it again."

There are a few minutes of silence.

"Uh... How do you know that?" Billy asks.

It comes to Kathryn a little late, that she may have not spoken about Rafe being at Singh's. "Well, to make a long story short, Singh tricked Rafe with his deal, locked me up with him, then he told me he loved me, then I told him to eat shit, then we got out, then he told me I was a Kook, then I told him to eat shit, and then I pushed him in the water to get his boat."