𝖎𝖎. Third Time's a Charm

It takes about twenty minutes for Kathryn's anxiety to finally recede and for her to start acting like a normal, functioning human being again

It takes about twenty minutes for Kathryn's anxiety to finally recede and for her to start acting like a normal, functioning human being again. Same thing happened on her flight to Charleston, once she's up, she's up. Her brain tells her that it is, in fact, what it is. Taking off and landing, well, that's another story.

But at least now, she's more clear minded, and in turn, anxious about a whole other matter. Like, being kidnapped. Again. Voluntarily, too. She's having some massive déjà-vu here...

Luckily for her, Sarah, having grown up in a house she shared with psycho brother and psycho father – even if the latter wasn't psycho just yet – had also taken up second-guessing everything as a second nature. It was Kathryn's too. She always saw them as the two sides of the same coin. She used to be jealous of Sarah for it. Kook princess, still shiny and sunny and lovely. Everything she had been.

She wished that coin wasn't as fucked on both sides, now.

Maybe even luckier for her, Kathryn could always count on her deeply mistrusting, con artist, always-down-to-make-the-worst-choice-possible boyfriend, JJ. Everyone surviving this maybe attempt at kidnapping clearly overthrew whatever spat they were in. And, again, Kathryn refused to make it a big thing. Sure, she was hurt, but it was probably nothing compared to what JJ was feeling, if he thought nothing was waiting for him.

Kathryn subconsciously avoids John B's glances. Not that he's talking to her, because this isn't the place to unpack whatever happened with JJ, but she still hears his voice in her head. Something, something, 'you care too much about everything else, but you.' To be fair, she doesn't think it's a coping mechanism this time. She just wants to make it up to everyone around her after causing so much pain.

John B'd probably call it a massive overshoot.

"So what were you doing all the way out here?" JJ asks Portis.

"I got a little guide outfit in Saint Vincent," he tells him, and Kathryn vaguely places it in the Caribbeans. "I was spotting fish."

"What were you spotting?"