Chapter Eighteen : Friends

Beomgyu were preparing food in his small kitchen when the telephone suddenly rings. It had startled him that he almost dropped the knife he was holding because of it as well. The sound of the ringing phone is like a loud bang in Beomgyu’s ear and he could feel his heart beat wildly against his chest. He was so used to be alone in his home with nothing but silence to greet him at the end of every day that he didn't think there will ever come another time where he'll get so scared or surprised by something. And this particular call was too sudden to be an ordinary one anyway; the ringing had sounded like it would have woken the dead.
He picked up the phone without any hesitation, his hand trembling. "Hello?" he asked softly.

“Gyu!” A familiar voice greeted him. It was Yeonjun who’s calling. “Good morning!”
Beomgyu breathed out deeply before saying, “Gosh, your phone call startled the shit outta me! I’m cooking!” There was no reply from the other line until he could hear a muffled laughter, then Beomgyu heard the sound of a car door closing, followed by a sigh, and some more light chuckling. “Are you okay? You never called me this early… What’s happening?” Beomgyu asked.

There was another pause and then Yeonjun said, “I’m right outside your apartment building, brought you something.” Beomgyu could practically hear the grin on the other man's face. He could even picture him smirking. But Beomgyu couldn’t bring himself to care about it. But then he remembered Soobin’s request, asking him to keep this as a secret between them for now because the older would want to surprise Yeonjun and he has plans.
“Wait, no. You can’t come to my apartment right now. I’m with someone.” Beomgyu answered hastily.

“Someone who?” Yeonjun inquired and the amusement in his tone wasn’t gone. Not yet, anyway. “Come on now, let me in. I’m bored to death, wanna hang out with you today. And besides I’m already here, I don’t wanna go home yet.”

Beomgyu sighed again. Yeonjun really wasn’t listening and he really wanted to say something back, something that will make him stop being annoying. But he just can’t find it inside him to talk to Yeonjun like he normally does.

Instead, he said the first thing that came to mind, “I told you I’m busy! Come back tomorrow instead.”
“Whatever you say, Gyu—“ And then the phone is cut off abruptly, not leaving Beomgyu with any chance to answer him at all.

The doorbell rang a few seconds later, breaking Beomgyu out of his thoughts. He took his jacket and hurried towards the door, opening it slightly. Yeonjun’s tall frame stood right in front of it, grinning widely.
“Hyu—“

“Come on! Stop pushing me away.” Yeonjun pushed his way past the other man and into his apartment, making the latter close the door. After walking through the living room, Yeonjun walked into the kitchen, looking around curiously. “You said you were with someone today? How come I don’t see anyone else here?”
And Beomgyu could sense Yeonjun’s suspicious look directed at him, despite his attempt at hiding his worry.

“Don’t ask questions,” he said curtly as he pushed past the taller man into the kitchen. He grabbed some plates from their cupboards before turning around, only to immediately freeze up once he sees the look on Yeonjun’s face. The taller was still standing behind the kitchen table, leaning against it with both of his hands crossed over his chest as he regarded the younger man with a look of confusion written all over his features. “Hey, are you hiding something?” Yeonjun asked.

For a second, Beomgyu debated whether he should tell Yeonjun about this. After all, Yeonjun is his best friend, and if anyone deserves to know about this, it’s him, right? And maybe he could explain it away somehow and maybe Yeonjun wouldn’t be mad at him but then Soobin is his friend too and he needs to do everything he can to help Soobin so maybe he shouldn’t—