Chapter Twelve : Garden Fun

After Hyunjin left, both boys stay in the restaurant for a few moments more to talk. They were talking about nothing in particular but that’s why they stayed so long.

Felix was curious about Hyunjin and Yeonjun’s past relationship, not because he had any personal interest in seeing it unfold, but because of their obvious attachment to each other. The two boys seemed so comfortable around each other and despite everything that happened between them,  they seemed like they were on good terms.

It was hard to imagine that such a close bond would end up in such an ugly scene. When Felix asked what the actual reason was for it all, Yeonjun laughed at him, “It didn’t have to do with anything bad as you think. Hyunjin and I were younger then, our relationship started as puppy love kind of thing and then turned serious. We were together for six years, though I end up leaving him to continue studying in college. In Europe.”

“But what’s the exact reason why you two broke up?” Yeonjun looked back at his food with an unreadable expression on his face. He sighed before speaking again.

“We just…didn’t work out is all. Things changed between us in the last six years and we couldn’t get past it.”  The two shared a brief moment of silence before continuing their conversation. Yeonjun spoke again after taking another bite of his food “We haven’t talked since then after I left. And before I came here, I’ve tried to keep in touch and find his new number from a close friend of his.” Felix nodded, knowing that Yeonjun wasn't finished yet. “The good thing was, he didn’t try ignoring me at all. We met up the other day in one of our favourite place, I apologized for everything but he said no. I think he still couldn’t forgive me of what I did so it’s understandable.” His gaze fell on the table as if he was ashamed of himself.

After a short while, he raised his head up to look at Felix again with a weak smile on his lips, “But I’m trying my best to start over with him as friends.” Yeonjun chuckled softly, looking down at his now empty bowl again.

Felix let out a sigh he hadn’t noticed he was holding until then, “That’s really great to hear, Yeonjunnie! It seems like everything worked out for you two. Just don’t go doing things you regret, okay? Don’t be stupid. You already have Soobin.” Yeonjun nodded before smiling fondly at the mention of Soobin’s name, a small sparkle appearing in his eyes for just a second. “I won’t go making any rash decisions.”

Felix nods. “Anyway, are you finished?” Yeonjun’s cheeks turn pink as he looks at Felix, his smile turning sheepish once again. “Sorry. Yeah I’m done. Let me pay.” Felix smiles as he waves his hand dismissively.

The waiter comes and collects their dishes and pays the bill when they finish. The two boys walk out of the restaurant. Before Felix could open his mouth to speak, however, Yeonjun interrupts.  “Wanna hang out first and get ice cream?” Felix raises an eyebrow at his request before nodding.

They walk towards the nearest convenience store and get their ice creams and a basket of cookies. They settle on a bench nearby, under the shade of a tree. Yeonjun takes a bite of his ice cream before speaking again, “Hey Felix.”
“Yes?” Felix replies. He’s enjoying the quiet atmosphere and doesn’t really want to be interrupted anytime soon.

“Have you had any girlfriend?” Yeonjun suddenly asks, seemingly out of nowhere. Felix blinks in surprise. “I mean, are you interested in somebody?” A blush rises on Felix’s face at the unexpected question but he recovers quickly and shakes his head. Yeonjun doesn’t look too satisfied, however. “Really? Why not?”

Felix fidgets with his spoon a little awkwardly, unsure how to respond. “Uh… I dunno. I have no plans on committing to somebody or be romantically involved with anyone. So, yeah, just fooling around for now. I’m still looking for the right one, Hyung.”
Yeonjun hums, looking at Felix curiously. “But did you happen to find anyone interesting?”