Chapter Nine : Home Visit

Beomgyu and Hyunjin stayed at the garden for a little while to talk in private. It seem real awkward now for the both of them, after everything that has happened in the past. And now seeing Hyunjin here makes it even more difficult to say those things that Beomgyu was longing for so badly, but couldn't. Hyunjin was still just his friend after all. Even if he's no longer dating his best friend. Besides, they too, bonded for so many years, through their experiences together. They know each other better than anyone else.

“So, what do you want us to talk about?” Hyunjin asked, his tone soft as always. He never raised his voice, not one bit. Just as he never used any kind of force in the past either.

“I just wanted to ask how have you been doing, Hyun.” The taller boy answered, trying to sound like he doesn't really care but deep down inside he really does. He was genuinely worried for him. For both of them and Yeonjun.

Hyunjin gave him a sad smile in return before shrugging his shoulders and replied with an obvious attempt at sounding cheerful: “I'm alright. I have been good.”

Beomgyu nodded in response and took the silence as his chance to continue, “It's just… I can't believe this is all happening. So much has changed. And yet you’re here, huh?”

They both smiled at that and Beomgyu added, “It was glad to see you paying a visit on them from time to time. I mean, even though you and Yeonjun hyungie broke up, you’re still very much close with his parents.”

Hyunjin chuckled, but it sounded forced, “Well, I didn’t broke my promise to them. And just because Yeon and I broke up, it doesn’t mean I could not visit his parents anymore or break the bond with them. They’re already like my parents, Gyu.”
The younger man hummed in understanding and said, “You’re right anyway. But..speaking of Yeonjun hyung, have you two talked already?”

“Yes, I’ve met him in our favourite cafe yesterday afternoon. He tried to be friends with me again, asking if we could..start over but I disagreed.” There was bitterness in Hyunjin’s voice now, but it wasn’t directed towards himself. No, he spoke about something else entirely and there was pain laced into every word he said. “He apologized for everything.”
Beomgyu’s expression softened in sympathy at that statement and said: “Oh. Well that’s good at least. But, are you going to forgive him?”

There was a hint of hesitation in Hyunjin’s eyes now, before he said: “Of course I am. I don’t..I’m just not ready to forgive him yet. I hope you understand,” he looked straight into Beomgyu’s eyes then. A hint of pleading mixed in with determination in his gaze. “I’ll get there eventually, but I need to work myself first. I need to heal.”
Beomgyu sighed and nodded slightly in agreement. “Okay, if that’s what you want. It’s your decision, I can’t force you to forgive what he did because it’s something that you need to work out on your own. But if you ever feel like talking to me, then please don’t hesitate to call me, okay?” He offered Hyunjin another small smile before adding: “Also, I am still your friend, hyung. We’re still best friends, nothing will change that.”

Hyunjin gave him a grateful look before nodding, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. “Thanks, Gyu. You’re too nice sometimes.” Then there was another awkward moment of silence filled with the rustling of the leaves from the wind.

“And, about Yeonjun hyung I’m sure there will always be a perfect time for us to heal.”
“I’m sure of that too.”
With that the conversation seemed to end pretty abruptly and awkwardly. Until one of the maids came towards them to give them some drinks. Both boys thanked her with genuine smiles, but she left soon afterwards without saying anything.

“Anyway, let’s go inside. They’re probably looking for us now.” Hyunjin finally said when it seems like they've been standing outside the same place for a long time now.