Chapter83: Freezing Heart

The beast alone filled the room to the brim, but somehow, it spiralled up and down with plenty of room to spare. Tsunade tried to find a way to enter safely, and when she couldn't, she didn't even hesitate before jumping right into.

Shisui, befuddled, watched as both she and Suiren disappeared into the storm that was somehow brewing in the shrine. He took a deep breath and waited to see any movement. By the looks of it, they planned to attack, something he was positive would only land them in the most sorry positions.

"Stop!", he shouted weakly at the sight Suiren going through a series of hand signs. She paused, struggling against the wind, and cast him a dubious look. Tsunade looked at him incredulously herself. Begrudgingly, he stepped into the shrine and struggled toward the creature.

"Suitatsumi!", he called, causing the two women to stare at him in utter shock. There was a long pause, making the man only seem crazy. However, the beast's gaze soon locked onto him, and it's mouth open slightly.

"I will not ask why you look like an idiot, boy. However, pray tell, what could you want from me at such a time?", it asked, causing Shisui to breath relief.

"We'd like to know what's going on! There's a hurricane going on outside and it seems to be coming from here! Also, what are you doing?", he called, using chakra to keep rooted as he inched closer and closer.

"Tamakiku-hime has gone into trance. This is not a hurricane, but the mere reflection of the state of her spirit. I am saving this village from peril.", the beast responded promptly. By now Tsunade had a vague idea of what the beast was, and based on its explanation, it was worth a shot to trust it. As such, she went outside to check if the disaster was still ongoing.

"What are you on about? Will Tama-sama be alright?", Suuren asked, a question that was burning Shisui that he was on the brink of insanity in that moment. A beady citrine eye landed it's gaze on her, seemingly smiling in spite of the situation.

"An Uzumaki? I am honoured.", it said softly, still hot on its track around the girl. There was a pensive pause as Shisui and Suiren shared a look.

"I cannot guarantee Tamakiku-hime's safety henceforth. I am afraid that this isn't an ordinary trance. I've never seen this happen before, but it is said to be well within her prowess. Now then, you boy, take her and see what you can do to return her from the other side. The Slug Sage should know how to save her. However, to have her back, you must ask Mizubana."

"What do you mean, 'save her'?", Suiren seemed to bark, but the beast disappeared just as she said the first word. Frustrated, she seemed about ready to destroy the whole place, but was able to just scream angrily without doing that.

Tama fell to the ground, her head landing on Shisui's hastily outreached foot. The male quickly crouched, took her in his arms, and started feeling for a pulse. He felt her left hand, then her right, not really sure in that moment which was which or if there was a difference. The more he felt, the more he was sure the pulse was losing momentum. The more he could hear the blood rush to his head.

He didn't hear when Suiren and Tsunade called for him, he didn't feel when they shook him. He only saw, he saw Tama's face become more and more pale, the constant blush of her cheeks draining as if... As if she was long dead.

"My body gets weaker by the day, I struggle against pain and fatigue. I'm telling you now because I'm sure that I won't make it too far. I'm telling you because... Because I'm sorry."

He left her head rest on his laps, then took one of her hands and rolled up the sleeve of her kimono. Suiren knelt down next to him upon seeing that there was an odd pattern on her skin, creeping along her arms. At first, it looked like veins, but then she was certain that it couldn't be. Her chakra meridians were showing.