Chapter 22: Godric's Hollow (Pt. 1)

Night had fallen, and all was still.

Hand-in-hand, they listened to the crunching sounds of the icy snow beneath their shoes as they walked the winding cobblestone streets of Godric's Hollow. The wind whipped through the willows, their branches like streams of tears trickling down onto the undisturbed snow at their roots.

"Perhaps we should come back tomorrow."

"We're not waiting even one day more. This is long overdue, Severus."

"Yes, but... It's starting to snow. Aren't you cold?"

Theda laughed.

"I'm from Massachusetts. I think I'll live."

Severus was quiet, his gaze fixed on the ground.

"I know this isn't easy for you... But it's something you need to do."

Severus let out an anguished grunt.

"Lily would want you to be happy."

"You keep saying that, but I'm not sure it's true."

"Well, that's why we're doing this. It's time the two of you cleared the air."

"I don't see what you're expecting me to get out of this... It's not as if she's going to say anything back."

"You never know... The veil is thin this time of year."

"What?"

"The veil. You know, between our world and the spirit world."

"Oh, don't tell me you believe in all that... that... superstition."

"Well, I don't know if I personally believe it, but millions of witches and wizards all throughout history believed that the dead would come back to walk the earth this time of year. Especially on the night of the winter solstice, which, as luck would have it, is tonight."

He gave her a surprised glance.

"Tonight? But... How long have you been planning this?"

"I haven't been! I only just came up with the idea for us to come here this morning in the Great Hall. I didn't even realize the solstice was today until I had already started packing."

Severus narrowed his eyes, his skepticism apparent.

"Well, I don't know about all that ancient pagan nonsense, nor do I expect to witness any ghostly processions crossing the "veil"... But perhaps you're right. Perhaps it's time to... to come to terms with things. And there are some things I need to get off my chest."

"I'll walk with you until we find her grave."

"And then what? You aren't staying with me?"

Theda looped her arm through his, clinging to him for his body heat as they continued walking through the dark rows of Tudor-style cottages toward the graveyard.

"I think I would be a distraction. I want you to get something out of this and I don't think you'd feel you could speak as freely if I were there."

He cast his gaze to the snow at their feet, giving no indication that he'd heard her.

"Plus, if I were around you might not be able to hear her if she says anything. I'll find something to keep myself busy so you two can have your privacy."

"You make it sound as if you're expecting me to have a dialogue with a headstone."

"Well, you said you've heard her speak to you before, right?"