Chapter 29

I've been in this position far to many times before. 

Sitting in an uncomfortable chair, in a cold room filled with the clean stench of a hospital. The steady beeping echoing out the room. My body, tensed and frozen, as I starred at the bed in front of me.

~ ~ ~ ~

"How is she?"

"Nothing has changed yet, Mr.Miller. 

I'm very sorry about your daughter."

A deep sigh. 

"It's alright. Thank you doctor."

I sat in my chair, watching as her chest rose and fell. Tubes and wires attached all over her and multiple iv's in her arms. Her head bandaged, hiding her brown frizzy hair. Eyes shut and face bruised and stitched.

A large, warm hand rubbed down my back.

"She'll be okay, Bailey. Sara is a strong girl."

I only nodded at my fathers words.

Sara was strong. She was the strongest person I've ever known. She's been through so much and yet she still watched over me. Her week could be horrible and all she would want to do is cry but she wouldn't.  

She was strong. 

She was Sara.

And now the strongest person I know is laying on a hospital bed, her life hanging by a thread.

As if on cue with my thoughts, the monitors beeping started rapidly increasing. The noise got louder as small lights flashed around the screen.

My dads face turned to me with wide eyes that I mocked.  

"No," he whispered.

Nurses and doctors all in white came bursting through the doors. Some with clipboards and others with stethoscopes and medicines.

"What going on?" My dad croaked as they all crowded around her bed.

"Her broken rib must of slipped from its restraint and its punctured her heart. Blood is escaping fast."

My dads face turn to sheer horror as he gripped me in his arms and started shaking.

Tears fell from my eyes but no cries escaped my lips. I could only watch as Sara was slipping away.

The beeping got faster and through the crowd of medical workers I saw Sara's body start to flail. He arms and legs twitched and her whole body started jumping.

"Her heart has been punctured too much. Oxygen isn't getting to her brain. She's going into a seizure," one doctor shouted to the others.

"Get me 50 cc's of distat fast," another one shouted.

"Sir, if she keeps moving the rib will only go in farther! She'll die instantly!"

The word die hung in my head as my fathers sobs got louder.

"Please! Please! Just save my daughter!"

The beeping increased to its high as Sara's body continued to shake.

"Distat! Where is it!"

"Inserting shot now, sir!"

A large needle pressed into Sara's arm now being restrained by two nurses and the liquid inside flushed out.

"It's not working!" Someone cried as her body continued to flail.

"Foaming of the mouth is occurring," a nurse informed everyone.