Chapter 26

Bailey's POV:

The cab pulled to a stop and Ken met my gaze in the rear view mirror.

"I'm going to wait. No matter how long you take. I just want to make sure you're safe, okay?"

I nodded and gave him a small pathetic excuse of a smile before opening the door and crawling out.

The large rusty old gates of the cemetery were pulled open since it was still visiting hours. I'd spent a lot of time here in the past. So much I was able to find a route to sneak in past hours.

Some may find it creepy, but I just wanted to be with my family at night. Even if it meant sleeping next to their cold muddy grave.

I gulped as I marched in. My shoes squishing in the mud that was still wet from last nights rain. I didn't care if my Uggs were going to get stained, I just knew I needed to be here.

I quickly passed multiple rows of graves. Each one for a different letter for last names. I passed many familiar graves that over the years I've learned to recognise before I got the the row I was searching for.

I took a glance down the extremely long row. It was crazy to think about how many people have died and buried here. Just this row were the people's who had a last name that starts with a M.

I spun on my heel and headed my way to the middle of the row. I passed unique graves with elaborate scriptures and I passed old dull graves that had seen better days.

But finally I reached the two I was looking for.

Each stone stood side by side. Both a decent size and still had their marble shine. In both tomb stones were carved a heart in the hands of angels. Though religion never was important to me anymore after they died, I wouldn't change their stones for the world.

My dads was on the right. 

'Bradley John Miller 

August 28, 1965 - January 14th, 2000.  

Father, husband, son, friend. 

Always in our hearts. 

"Life is full of twists but behind each one lies a surprise worth untangling."  

Rest in peace.'

I smiled softly at reading one of my dads most famous quotes from an article he wrote. I was proud with his stone. It did him justice in a small amount of words. He would always be in my heart, no doubt about it.

I leaned down and dusted off a few autumn fallen leaves around it before standing back up.

My eyes drifted to the left where my sisters grave laid. Tears started falling faster as my breathing picked up. It's bad that I can be strong while looking at my dads grave but instantly fall apart at the sight of my sisters.

'Sara Mishelly Miller. 

May 29, 1987 - December 22, 1999. 

Beloved daughter and sister. 

Taken to soon from this world. 

You words will live on.'

The last past was my doing. Even though I was only six when she was taken from me, I knew that I would cherish every word she ever told me. So I told my aunt, who I don't speak to much anymore, something along those lines. She told me what she came up with and I agreed . Then the bottom line was engraved.

12 years old.

She wasn't even a teenager yet before she got taken from my arms. 

My sister would miss out on so many things that I got to. And while I blew them off or didn't care much for them, I bet she would give the world to do now.

It's crazy that it's been twelve years since she left. 

Seems like just yesterday we were at the ice rink... 

But then again, that was only a few days before she died.

"Bailey?"

I spun around and wiped the tears from my eyes.

Ken stood behind me with a frown on his face. 

"I was getting worried..."

I nodded and folded my arms.

He looked behind me and I saw his face fall even more. 

"Oh Bailey, I'm so sorry."

I sniffled and signed thanks to him. One of the few I had taught him.

"Wait... Bradley Miller was your father? Man, he was a very talented."

Again I signed, 'Thanks.'

Though instantly everything dawned upon him.

"Oh gosh... Bailey. You're the little girl who went mute after..."

I nodded.

"So that's your sister?"

I nodded once more.

Ken walked over to me and pulled me into his arms. It wasn't a familiar hug or one of the few I yearned for, but it was appreciated and I hugged back.

"Do you mind if I say a few words?" He softly asked.

I nodded no and motioned for him to go on.

He released me and cleared his throat before removing his Mets snap back and walking closer to the graves.

"Mr.Miller, my name is Kan Tanger. I know we've never met but I've always been a big fan of your work. I've recently met your daughter, Bailey. Well not so recently, months ago. 

And sir, she's been through so much but she was brought up correctly. I've never met such a caring girl. Especially one who can't even speak. But like many have said actions speak louder than words. And I know she loves you very much."

Tears were falling once again as I listened to Kens' words.

He turned so he was facing Sara's grave and cleared his throat again.

He spoke, this time with a shakier voice.

"Sara Miller... Your name was every where for months. You weren't famous. You weren't a child with cancer. You weren't the next Einstein. You were everywhere because you were taken too soon. And what happened to you was tragic. I too lost an older sibling, so I know what Bailey must feel and what she went through. I know she would give anything for just another hour with you. But I know you're up there watching over her. And I just want you to know that you're missed by her and she loves you just as much. Bless you both."

Ken sighed and turned around to face me. Both of us had tears falling. He carefully placed his cap back over his bald head before slinging his arm around my shoulders.

"Come on, kid. Let's get you back home."