Chapter 41: Sylvie and The Viper

Sylvie woke to the sensation of teeth gently nibbling on her neck as deft hands undid the sash on her robe. She blinked her eyes open to realize that she was not in her room, rather it appeared she had dozed off in the library. She shivered, the room had grown cold and the fire had gone out some time while she was asleep.

"My, my, my, is this what I pay you for, governess?" Her lover chuckled darkly as he bit her in punishment.

"I-what?" She blinked at him in groggy confusion. "Pay me? Governess?"

"Dozing off while on duty," he tsked, pushing her robe off her shoulders, tracing her collar with his mouth. "In the library where anyone could find you."

"Well, that is because you made me do all the work last night," she jabbed him, making it sound like a complaint when she had not minded in the least. "That too with my hands tied behind my back!"

"You're the one that wanted to be in charge. Can't have it both ways, pet. Why should I always do all the work?"

"Well, that's fair I suppose," she conceded, tipping her face up in an invitation for a kiss. He did not indulge her, merely continued his slow caressing of her skin.

"A lazy governess is not of much use to me. I ought to sack you, leave you without lodgings, and pay."

"You are not making any sense-!" Her protest was cut off by a firm, hot possession of her mouth.

"I will give you one chance," he continued, his eyes dark with carnal intent. "How are you going to convince me to let you stay? Can you prove to me that you are useful enough not to toss you out on your ear? Does that tongue have any talents besides speaking Latin?"

"Raphael, I am entirely confused. Are you foxed? It's me, Sylvie, and I must tell you that I do not care one bit for you mistaking me for someone else. Nor can I condone the harassment of governesses merely trying to make a living!"

He stared at her for a minute before a grin broke across his face and his shoulders began to shake with repressed laughter.

"Ah, my possessive little minx," he pressed a kiss to her nose, his voice a little strangled with amusement. "I was playing a new sort of game."

"A game?"

"Yes, somewhat like playing pretend. We make up a scenario and characters and play it out. For example, right now, you were meant to beg me not to sack you. You would offer to make up for your poor behavior with carnal favors."

"Oh," Sylvie exhaled as she considered the possibilities. "So we are acting."

"Just so," he dipped his head in agreement, "Now, where were we? Ah, yes. Caught lazing off at the job, Miss Heartwood. You should be ashamed of yourself."

"I must tell you I take offense to your scenario," she grumbled, even as she let her robe drop.

"Do you?" He raised an amused eyebrow, his fingers working his cravat loose.

"I would never be so lax about the education of young minds!" She complained only to see him hang his shoulder and laugh out loud. "Please do not make fun of me."

"I'm not," he said solemnly, divesting himself of his shirt. "We'll change the scenario then, you can be the mistress of the house and I can be the lazy tutor. I cheated my way through Cambridge, did you know?"

"I can hardly imagine why, you are one of the most intelligent people I know."

"I had better things to put my mind to," he shrugged.

"Your womanizing and hooliganry?"

"Indeed," he chuckled. "Now, mistress, I beg you, I need this post. I have so many debts I need to pay. Do not sack me."