Chapter 39: Rafe

Raphael let out a low, impressed whistle as he walked into the private room of an upscale bordello in Covent Garden as he observed the figure tied to the bed; face down and bottom reddened by the use of a cane. His quarry let out a panicked squeal at the sight of him as he leisurely took off his coat and sat down in a chair facing the bed. Rafe picked up one of the expensive cigars from the box on the table and lit it, inhaling the delicious flavor, letting it fill his lungs.

"Ah, Brigadier, I do not know what I expected, but it was certainly not this!" Raphael chuckled as the man in question let out a strangled sound of horror against the gag in his mouth. Rafe reached into his pocket and pulled out a thick envelope of bank notes which he handed over to the second person in the room; a slender, faerie-looking young man who was done up in extravagant rouge, a long silken robe that barely concealed him, and a wig that fell to his waist. He daintily set the cane in his hand on the table and quickly counted out the sum before nodding. "I've seen plenty but this is slightly a surprise even to me, but who am I to judge? Here's your payment, my dear. Thank you for your cooperation."

The Brigadier looked to his lover as he took the payment with such bewildered heartbreak that Raphael barked out in laughter. The man in the wig didn't even pass him a glance, perhaps out of guilt, but that was not Rafe's business.

"Never tell me you were in love? Oh, come now, Felix- I can call you Felix now, can't I? We've become so intimately acquainted! So, Felix, really, you can't mean to tell me you made that stupid a mistake? A whore- be they man, woman, or something in between as your tastes seem to swing- cares only about one thing; themselves," he took another drag of the cigar, exhaling the smoke as the prostitute quietly left the room. "Or maybe two, if you throw money into the mix. Even young bucks taking their first mistress know that much, much less for a man of your experience. Then again I can't say intelligence has been your strong suit. I had wondered why a man like you hadn't married in so long, but I certainly guess that answers that! I do love it when the answer is the most outrageous one possible."

The Brigadier turned his helpless gaze to Rafe, a pathetic, pleading look in them. But tonight in particular he had no measure of mercy or good humor in him. He had uncharacteristically fallen asleep in the afternoon while he was waiting for news about the Brigadier and unsurprisingly he'd had yet another nightmare. Except this one had been far worse than all his others combined.

He had been in the dungeon again, except this time he was chained to the wall and sitting down on a chair instead of his usual place in the center with his hands raised above him by ropes. He was bound to the chair, facing the center where a light suddenly went on to reveal a sight that would haunt him for the rest of his life; Sylvie, her arms bound above her, clad in a thin nightgown, bleeding from various cuts. He had started yelling then, trying to get out of his bonds but they would not budge. Out of the darkness, The Viper emerged with his mouth twisted into an expression of sadistic amusement, a whip casually slung over his shoulder. He grabbed Sylvie's jaw in his hands, caressing her face with mock gentleness before he raised his hand and backhanded her with so much force that her lip split open. With a sickening laugh, he stepped behind Sylvie and looked Raphael dead in the eyes.

You cannot stop me.

And then he had raised the whip and let it fly. Raphael woke screaming before it struck her and vomited the entirety of his lunch into the chamber pot. Ever since then, he had been in the world's worst temper, twitchy and anxious, itching for a fight.

No, The Brigadier ought not to search for any mercy in this quarter, particularly this day.

Raphael unbuttoned his waistcoat, casually pulling out a pistol as the Brigadier's face went white with fear. Raphael made a production out of loading it, flicking the chamber closed as he took another drag of his cigar. He lifted the pistol and aimed it directly at the Brigadier's head and gave him an encouraging smile.