Chapter 24: James

"Sylvia, dear, are you feeling quite well? You appear flushed and out of sorts," James observed with some concern as the woman in question jumped at his query. She'd been adding her fifth spoon of sugar to the tea and had earlier attempted to use a fork to spread her butter.

"Oh? No, no. I am completely fine. Everything is perfectly ordinary," she said hurriedly, but she sounded perhaps a tad....defensive? Mayhap she'd had another argument with Jane. "Nothing new or strange at all. Everything is the same. All completely unremarkable."

"Are you certain? Perhaps you did not get enough sleep at night?"

"No!" She exclaimed, her expression guilty. She let out a forced laugh, "I did not do anything of note last night at all. It was perfectly ordinary. Same as every night. Lots of sleeping. And dreams! Lovely dreams. Ordinary dreams!"

"I see," James opted to say diplomatically as she added a sixth spoon of sugar to her tea and allowed the conversation to die. They ate their breakfast in a comfortable silence, or rather James did the eating, all Sylvia seemed to be capable of was pushing her rapidly cooling eggs on her plate. Perhaps he ought to send for the physician just in case.

"Good morning, the two of you. Fine day isn't it?" His son proclaimed in arrival. James watched Raphael practically swagger into the room, his entire demeanor reeking of self-satisfaction. A lazy, Cheshire smile adorned his face as he shared a long, heated glance with Sylvia, who colored brightly and looked away, taking a hasty sip of her tea and choking on the overly sweetened brew.

James' eyes traveled between the pair slowly, a suspicion dawning. 

Ah.

So that's why she was so out of sorts.

James was torn between disapproval and sheer, absolute delight. Here he had begun to think that he would have to start playing matchmaker soon, orchestrating scenarios for the two of them to find each other alone, but his bloody son was almost never home. On the other hand, he did not want Raphael to disgrace or disrespect Sylvia, who was as dear to him as a daughter would have been. He was not entirely sure that Raphael could treat her affections with the reverence they were due.

Was it too much to hope that his fool son would finally admit that he was in love with Sylvia Heartwood? Probably. James had not realized until Raphael was much older that he still harbored many scars from James' divorce, shying away from the topic of marriage time and again. The only time James' had seen any form of strong emotion from Raphael had been when he had feigned an interest in Sylvia Heartwood.

Perhaps he ought to start needling his son on that topic once more. Imply that he was growing tired of London and wanted to turn his attention to more local women. And then, over dinner, he would start a conversation about Jane's custody.

He'd ask so very innocently if the solicitor had said anything about marriage influencing the transfer of guardianship and then he would change the subject for a while....before bringing the topic to his unfortunately slow reception with the marriageable women of London.

And then, he'd enjoy watching his son implode.

Perhaps that fool would finally be compelled to action.

"Did you sleep well, Sylvie?" Raphael asked smugly as he lowered himself into a chair as the target of his attention refused to look in his direction. "Anything on your mind?"

"Nothing at all!" She squeaked and took another sip of the tea, grimacing but too polite to waste it.

"Truly? No decisions to make as of late?"

Sylvia shot him a look filled with pure loathing before silently turning back to her breakfast, now stabbing her eggs with a fork, likely imagining it was Rafe's face. Raphael's grin only widened as he observed her, his entire manner exhibiting his pleasure at how thoroughly she was discomposed. Sylvia set down her empty cup with a loud clink and rose out of her seat.