Chapter 4: Sylvie

"And isn't it absolutely magnificent, ladies and my lord, that these gigantic creatures walked this very earth we inhabit? Would you believe any of it if you were not witness to the fossils yourself?" Mr. Alder finished with a flourish as the small group assembled in The Marquess of Lindsey's drawing room descended into polite applause.

"I say, Mr. Alder, that was truly so enlightening! You always come back from London with the most fantastic material," Sylvie gushed at the man as he smiled at her, a small blush spreading across his cheeks. She was so very pleased that the Welsh-born naturalist had joined their little "literary club", though it was really just a cover for the eccentric ladies in the neighborhood who enjoyed unorthodox topics of conversation to meet without raising any eyebrows. Two of their members were horticulturists who were currently working on breeding some strain of wheat that would suit the conditions in Carlisle better, another lady was the widow of a doctor who had a great interest in medical sciences and had acted as his assistant throughout his life. As for the Marquess, though he was rather knowledgeable in history and had a vast collection of books in his library, she suspected that he was lonely and that was why he hosted their weekly meetings with grace and enthusiasm. Not that Sylvie was complaining, the cook at Lindsey Abbey made the best cookies and eclairs, and there was always a helping for Sylvie at the end of each meeting.

"I know how much you ladies enjoy it so I always make sure to make notes," Mr. Alder said kindly, his gaze intent upon Sylvie's face, making her own cheeks heat in response. "And while we are on the subject, I think you would like to know that George Cuvier, who is the leading expert in the field, has his illustrations and samples sometimes provided for by a Miss Morland."

The fact that Mr. Alder always took special care to point out women's contribution to science always warmed Sylvie's heart. The Marquess gave her a pointed look and she pretended she hadn't seen the paternal knowing in his eyes.

Yes, Mr. Alder had been flirting with her.

No, she did not dislike it.

Yes, Mr. Alder had told her to call him Michael and had implied that he would not be averse to an affair.

Sylvie desperately did not want to cross her thirtieth birthday a virgin. To say that she had been growing –ahem- curious about intimate relations as of late was an understatement; Sylvie was positively randy. Uncouth for a young lady of good breeding to admit, but there it was. She had even (garbed in a cloak and veil) bought a.......book of illustrations. Illicit illustrations.

When Sylvie had first understood the mechanics of sex thanks to an anatomical journal, she had been thoroughly horrified. It had not seemed like a pleasant activity at all! It looked undignified and embarrassing as anything! She had been all too curious as to why men seemed to lose their heads over it. And of course, since she couldn't exactly ask Mrs. Pinehurst if sexual relations were enjoyable, she had to draw her own conclusions.

Looking back, perhaps she had been hasty in deciding that the act couldn't be fulfilling for women just because the sheep on her farm did not particularly look like they were having fun. The women in those illustrations, at the very least, looked like they were enjoying themselves. There were several positions Sylvie couldn't have even imagined with all the creativity in the world, but looking at the pictures made her feel hot. And achy. Very, very achy. And while she had learned how to deal with that ache in the privacy of her bedroom she couldn't help but feel as though there was something....more.

So, Sylvie would take him up on his offer, just as soon as she could be sure that she had her promotion in hand. She could not risk her reputation having even a single shade of scandal, not until the keys to the headmistress' office were in her keeping. After that, she would discreetly begin a torrid clandestine affair with the handsome widower, Mr. Alder.