Chapter 10: Rafe

"You don't have to come with me, I know you have a lot on your plate," The Marquess of Lindsey smiled at Raphael, taking a pointed look at the fact that he was still in his clothes from last night. Raphael had been awake all night searching through every nook and cranny in Thomas' home, finding heaps upon heaps of coded documents. Thomas had used so many different ciphers that Raphael's head had begun to spin from the effort it took to decode even one page. He badly needed a reprieve.

Getting on Rothbury's last nerve sounded like a welcome activity. Rafe had picked out his most ostentatious emerald earring, along with a large gold ring with emeralds set in it just for the express purpose of irritating the Duke with his unorthodox attire.

"No, just let me get dressed. I have already told the Rothburies to expect us." Then he leaned in and winked at his father. "And between you and me, the Duke can't stand me so I try to force myself on him whenever I can."

The Marquess shook his head in amusement and then turned as he heard eager footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Jane!" The Marquess beamed as he lifted his hands and signed clumsily as he spoke. Jane dipped into a sweet little curtsy and ran over to hug him, giving Raphael a shy smile. "Did you buy some pretty dresses today?"

Jane began to giggle, then reached into her pocket to take out a notebook.

That is not how you say dress. But yes, I got some very nice ones. Mama said I should thank you.

"You are very welcome my dear," Lindsey patted the girl on her head as he shot Rafe an apologetic look. "I hope you don't mind I invited Jane on our picnic with the Rothburies, I thought Sylvia could use a little reprieve."

"Not at all. What's this talk about a new wardrobe?"

"I saw poor Sylvia worrying about affording a new set of mourning clothes for Jane when I came down for breakfast, so I may have spun a tale about how you as Jane's godfather had a responsibility to arrange these things. That dear girl, heaven knows I cannot stand to see even a frown on her face. I knew you would not mind, but as you had no knowledge of your own generosity, I will foot the bill-"

"I'll pay for it," he said hastily and with much more force than needed. He could explain why he wanted to be the one to ease Sylvie's worry and care for Jane; he had already been weak where Sylvie was concerned and the incident two nights ago had only made him more vulnerable. "It is no trouble. I'll join the two of you shortly and then let us be on our way. Sylvia won't be joining us?"

Jane giggled as she and the Marquess exchanged a look. "No, she is expecting a visitor."

Jane giggled once more as she scribbled something on her notebook and showed his father, who replied with a wink. Raphael felt oddly uncomfortable at being obviously left out of an intimate joke. At least Jane seemed in better spirits. She had been incredibly frightened the first night, not wanting to be left alone at all. And still, she could not recall what had exactly happened in the study. And since she had been unable to see or hear anything from the chamber, she could not even tell them if there had been anyone else in the room with Thomas.

Their best lead was a dead end, but Raphael was trying not to let the frustration get to him.

He massaged his weary neck and left to change.

A while later the three were off to meet the Rothburies at Hyde Park, marking his father's debut in polite society. Or whomever of them remained in the frigid cold of November. Still, it was the fashionable hour and the sun was out and thus Hyde Park it would be. Rafe was a meticulous and careful man and he had devoted his undivided attention to planning his father's return to ton life.