Chapter 5: Rafe

"Married? Married!" Raphael cried out in surprise as he loaded his plate with eggs and sausage. His father's cook was a godsend and he was very happy he had brought her to the London townhouse with him. "Well, that's excellent news! Why did you wait until after the season?"

And he meant every word. He knew that his father was lonely and Raphael regretted very much that they could not spend more time together, but as long as his quarry remained at large, he could not leave London and the resources that could be found with The Collective. He had wished for many years that his father would take that final step.

"I thought perhaps it might be wise to....test the waters rather than to plunge in the high seas all at once," his father explained with a rueful shake of his head, taking his place at the breakfast table. The townhouse was in use by its master for the first time in thirty years, and the excitement of the staff was evident in the way they were standing up taller. "The last time I came to London, I was given the cut direct by almost everyone I knew. Not a single invitation, people didn't even acknowledge me on the street."

"Who?" Raphael snapped, his mind going through a catalog of his father's contemporaries. What he knew about them, what secrets he could ferret out, and how he would destroy them if need be. Raphael knew his fair share of the ton's secrets, knew how to find out more if need be. He knew that the scandal of his father's divorce had led them to become social outcasts, but Raphael was a boy no longer. He could protect the Marquess of Lindsey from society's ire.

"It matters not, Raphael. It is ancient history," his father's tone was gentle but it brokered no room for argument whatsoever. The Marquess was no fool and he knew that it was not just Raphael's financial activities that kept him in London. Though the Marquess was not privy to the exact nature of Raphael's work, or his role in the war, he had implied on many an occasion that he did not believe that Raphael had been a diplomat attached to the British embassy in Belgium; the story he had relayed to everyone in his life before he had been recruited by Thomas to work for The Collective. "I do need something from you, however."

"Of course, anything."

His father passed a folded piece of paper to him which revealed a list of names.

"These are the women I am considering for the role of my Marchioness, all of good breeding, connections, and an appropriate age."

"I see," Raphael scanned the list for anyone he particularly disapproved of. He nearly choked on his food as he spied a familiar name. "The Dowager Duchess of Rothbury?! Absolutely not!"

"Why not?" His father furrowed his eyebrows. "Granted, The Montgomery family are a little high in the instep, but Her Grace and I have an acquaintanceship from our youth. If we can work to mitigate the public unfavorable opinion of me, I think she would be receptive to a courtship."

"Because you are not making me family with a joyless, uptight prick like Rothbury," Raphael shuddered at the very thought. The Duke of Rothbury was the very example of the perfect aristocratic gentleman; too priggish, too proper, too boring, and far too concerned with his consequence. The most interesting thing about the man was the fact that he was thoroughly besotted with his wife; whom he had married purely for convenience. Their marriage had been the cause of much conjecture itself; rumors and scandal were inevitable when one of the most significant personalities of the country inherited a great deal of debt, and then subsequently wed an improper American heiress with no good bloodlines or connections to recommend her for her money. "I have no other objects, except for Lady Hellen Allan and Lady Mary Wickhurst, both of whom enjoyed the company of gentlemen in spite of the fact that they were already wed. You cannot be assured of their loyalty."

"I appreciate the advice, though that is not exactly what I sought from you," the Marquess raised an amused eyebrow, "if you could kindly cross off the women on this list that you are –ahem- acquainted with, I would be thankful."