Chapter Seven

Fifteen Years Prior

Being the padawan of a Jedi Council member had drawbacks, but it certainly proved to be interesting. L'echar continued to help hone her lightsabre skills, favouring the third form: Soresu. But this day, they were to go on their first off-world mission. They were to attend an archaeological dig on the Old Republic Mizra Jedi temple grounds.

"Are we going to our home world?" Te'elis asked as they walked to the hanger bay.

Master Ori looked wistful. "My home world is on Coruscant. I was born in the Miziri compound and brought to the temple when I was nine days old." Pausing, she stopped and sat next to her young padawan. "As for you, I am unsure. However, it is our ancestral home and welcomes all Miziri." Te'elis could sense hesitation, whether to give further detail or leave it at that.

This was a far cry from their usual heavily scheduled days. Typically, Master Ori would make a traditional Miziri breakfast, ensuring that Te'elis knew what each ingredient was, where it came from and what nutritional value it held. She would then typically have to attend to Jedi Council matters, some of which Te'elis would attend, learning through observation about diplomacy and logical debate; yet, of course, not all matters were for padawans to view. She was typically in the Jedi Archives when she couldn't attend the council sessions. This was where she found her love of architecture, and the Jedi Archives were complete with old architectural plans that showed secret and forgotten passages.

Seeing her padawan's interest in such areas, Ori fostered this, teaching the Kithira, an ancient Miziri meditation technique used to restore control and order in a chaotic mind.

There is no emotion; there is peace.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no passion; there is serenity.

There is no chaos; there is harmony.

There is no death; there is the Force.

Meaning 'structure of harmony', the kithara was completed by building a stable structure with the blocks, with eyes closed. The kithara reflects the builder's state of mind and is intended to look different every time it is built.

Master Ori was a historian and archaeologist trained to recover lost Jedi artefacts and ritual objects. She taught that each Jedi Temple reflected the Jedi who built it and that the kithara was a mental exercise and a tool to remain focused in the Force.

She loved solving mysteries and passed this love on to her padawans equally. Over the first year as a padawan, Master Ori fostered an environment where Te'elis felt comfortable expressing her curious nature, sharing her passions and learning. She had done all this to prepare Te'elis for venturing into the galaxy.

As they stepped foot on Miziri soil, there was a buzz within her, not of a being returning to their home world but of adventure, of possibly uncovering the mysteries of an old Jedi Temple. Te'elis wasn't sure what she expected, but it wasn't what she found. This ancient Jedi Temple was within the Greater Temple District; the Grand Miziri Temple, the centre of all Miziri life, was built on top of it.

The sight was terrific; the cavern below the temple was lit up, and teams of archaeology students and researchers gathered. "Ah! Jedi Master Ori!" A woman dressed in distinctly clerical clothing came down from the high scaffolding. "I'm so glad you could come as quickly as possible."

"Vriha, this is my padawan, Te'elis." Master Ori said this as she respectfully and casually greeted the women. "Te'elis, this is High Priestess Vriha - an old friend."

Smiling and looking over Te'elis as if inspecting the girl, she nodded. "I've heard a great deal about you. You can call me aunty." Seeing the nervous look on the girl's face, she laughed. "All good things, I promise. Anyway, come eat; it's break time anyway."