Chapter One

A Jedi does not dwell on the past, as Master Yoda had instructed. How could she not? As she tried to tie her obi, Te'elis i-Ra'tleihfi t'Viaen had a great many things on her mind. However, knocking on her door quickly brought her thoughts to the present.

"Te'elis!" The bright voice of L'echar, one of the only other Miziri Jedi Knights, came as she let herself in. "We'll be late."

"It's a funeral."

"Yes, but you know how the High Council feels about tardiness," L'echar remarked as she brushed Te'elis' hands off and tightened and fastened her obi. "You really need this resized," she added, gesturing to Te'elis' robes. "Or eat more at mealtimes."

A pang of sadness flowed through her as she heard those words: "I've been busy." By busy, she meant caring for her former master and completing her work on the architectural catalogue for the Jedi Archives. Looking back into L'echar's eyes, she knew there was understanding. Te'elis didn't know how to explain the ruling passion within her. Many would condemn her actions as evidence of overattachment. Yet L'echar seemed to have an understanding. "You're right; we better not keep the Council or the Miziri delegation waiting."

Making her way to the Public Centre, Te'elis chose to keep all her thoughts secure. As Master Yoda so aptly put it, this was not the time or place to dwell.

~~~

 Disembarking the turbolift, they met the Miziri delegation, composed of the Corosaunt Miziri High Priestess, her acolytes and the infamous Miziri Mortuary Guards. It was quite the sight that was rarely seen outside their compound or off their home world.

"Ah, Master Yoda, this must be Jedi Te'elis," High Priestess Hodaya remarked as she turned to look towards the two late arrivals. "Master Ori spoke so highly of you. May her memory be a blessing."

Forming the practised hand gesture of both hands pressed together in a triangular formation and pressed to her forehead with a slight bow, Te'elis replied in the native Miziri tongue. "May her memory be a blessing; may I continue her honour."

With a bow, they moved on. It was an exciting sight, with both High Masters escorting Hodaya and the rest of the council trailing behind with the delegation. The whole proceeding was somewhat unorthodox and perhaps wouldn't have happened if not for Master Ori's former place on the Jedi High Council and her connection with the Miziri. The Jedi and Miziri had many similar beliefs regarding the Force or Ashla, yet one was decidedly different. The Miziri believed it was unlawful to desecrate the body of the deceased, as they believed the body should be buried in the ground intact, allowing their katra (life force) to ascend to the cosmic Force naturally. To destroy one's katra was seen as a dark side sorcery act of binding to the mortal world. Due to this, the Miziri viewed the time between death and burial as a particularly vulnerable time for one's connection with the Force, yet it was also a holy time. The Mortuary Guards trained all their lives to facilitate the rights and rituals of burial and to maintain the dignity of the deceased.

Te'elis had been taught all of this from the moment her former master knew she was dying. She was not afraid of death. She wasn't young; at 170 years old, she had seen the galaxy change significantly. She was the one who found Te'elis, kept an eye on the young girl, and eventually chose her as a padawan. She had seen Te'elis grow into the young woman she was now, so it wasn't surprising that their bond was akin to family. More than that, Master Ori had served on the Jedi High Council for over 70 years. It didn't take much for Te'elis to persuade the council to have her master receive the Miziri burial rights.

The service itself was relatively quick. L'echar explained things she hadn't learnt about, such as the Qe'iah (tearing), in which mourners are expected to tear a piece of red cloth that is then woven into their hair for 90 days following the death. It is probably an elemental symbol believed to have protective powers. There was so much Te'elis didn't know about her culture.