chapter 18.2

TRIGGER WARNING: Graphic Description of Gore, Violence, Death, Suicide

☘☘☘

I made my first kill when I was in the military. I can still remember vividly how it happened. The moment my life changed.

"Sa tingin mo matatapos lahat dito?" Romel Escalera–a known terrorist, drug dealer, serial killer, kidnapper, human trafficker, and every bad name under the sun–grinned at me with his yellow-stained teeth.

We caught him after an encounter in his hideout. After claiming five lives from the police we worked with, we finally caught him. And now, I'm at the back of an armored truck, breathing the same air as him as we transfer him to a maximum security prison.

I sat on the side of the truck, watching him talk. He's restrained yet he could still smile. He's been muttering nonstop to himself. I wish I could gag him but apparently, that's a violation to his rights as a person, a human being.

Like he still deserves to be called a human being after all his crimes.

I fixed my posture, gripping the rifle strapped in front of my chest. I looked at the other military officer in front of me. He, too, looks so done with this guy's constant muttering.

Romel laughed hysterically. He moved his body but with his restraint, all he could do was squirm like a worm. Despite that, he still looks happy, even ecstatic.

"Okay lang sa'kin," he said joyfully. "Masaya na 'ko. Ang dami ko ng nagawa. Nakapatay na ako. The best ang feeling lalo na nang marinig ko 'yung iyak nila. Natikman ko na lahat ng pwede kong matikman. Droga, pagkain, tao, mga bata." He looked up and inhaled, closing his eyes. "Haa... How I'll miss that." He exhaled and opened his eyes, his gaze landing on me. "But, need ko lang naman tumira sa kulungan ng ilang taon. Tapos, charan! Magkikita ulit tayo." His grin widened. "Mami-miss kita. Hahanapin kita kapag nakalabas na ako."

I wasn't the kind of person who'll just snap easily. I never even knew I could do what I did. But I did it.

With my rifle, I aimed at him and emptied my magazine on his face.

That criminal, that monster was my first kill. And I do not regret any of it. Even after they locked me up in prison for what I did. Even after they stripped me off my honorary title. Even after they placed me in a correctional facility, nothing will make me change my mind.