chapter 13

☘☘☘

I opened my eyes when I felt the weight on the other side of the bed behind me disappeared. Pinakiramdaman ko muna si Karma bago ako gumalaw. I heard the door of the bathroom but it was so faint I had to listen carefully. After some time, the door of the room opened and closed after. I didn't hear footsteps, just the sound of the door but even that was nearly audible.

That was how quiet Karma moves. Kaya hindi na ako nagtaka na I just discovered what he does on nights like this yesterday.

It's been a week since he got back. And so far, he hasn't said anything. Nothing.

Korea is where he went. And he did his job there. No injury, no nothing.

Slowly, I got up from the bed and walked silently to the door. I held the knob as quietly as I could and slowly, I twisted it open. I don't know how Karma does not make any sound and still do his task not as slowly as I did but he's really good. Too good that I almost didn't know what he's doing.

I opened the door enough just so I can see outside. Kaunting siwang lang dahil kita ko naman na agad siya.

Karma is in the living room, seated on the sofa facing the coffee table. His back is on my side so he hasn't noticed me.

Currently, he's taking his hoodie off. And he's struggling with it. I can tell that it hurts him from how he cannot even lift his left arm. And if he does move it past a certain height, it shakes uncontrollably and I can hear him sighing really hard like he's relieving the pain.

For a week, I've never seen him wear anything short-sleeved. Not a shirt, and especially not a tank top. Or even if he does, he puts a jacket over it or a flannel. I know the reason even if I don't watch him right now.

When he finally got the hoodie off his left arm, I inhaled a shaky breath when I saw his bandaged arm and shoulder. The bandage looks white and contrasting on it is a faint stain of brownish red. Dried blood.

I clutched on the doorknob that I hadn't let go. Mas malamig na ngayon ang mga palad ko kesa sa metal na doorknob dahil sa aking nasasaksihan.

Karma started with the bandage on his arms. He slowly unwrapped it, groaning silently. His breaths are loud and heavy. But if I was deep in slumber, I'd never hear him. He's really holding back. Nakikita ko kasi ang mga ugat sa kanyang leeg na bakat sa kanyang balat.