Chapter Eight ~ cure for the cure

Hope you like it. Happy Easter!

Last Time

"What happens now?" I questioned with all the hope in my voice.

"Now, we wait...and live like normal."

He sat back down beside me as we watched the comforting flames flicker and crackle.

edited 27/5/13

Chapter Eight ~ cure for the cure

I don’t remember closing my eyes, but I feel the warm comforting glow of the fire on my face as I felt something soft supporting my head. I opened my eyes to see a blanket thrown over me as I lay beside the fire. A rattle grabs my attention as I turned my head to see Chris busying himself in the corner of the room; he sorted through piles of papers as he sat slumped on a chair, in the ‘library’ part of the cave.  I watched as he was unaware of my presents. His strong jaw was clenched as he grinded his teeth together while he thought. His hair fell just above his eyes are they stared blankly at the paper. His features were tough and strong, as they instantly shot up as his eyes were in line with mine. His features softened.

“You’re awake.” He stated happily. I returned him with a small smile, this creating a chain making him smile more brightly at me - if it were possible.

“What are you doing?” I asked as I stood and began to walk over to him. Noticing the mountains of paper around him, I wondered what they all said.

He sighed dramatically as if he was troubled. “It’s all the memoirs of the scientists that created the ‘cure.’” I nodded in understanding.

“Why are you reading them?” He looked up at me from the papers and smiled again. “To find a cure.” He returned his gaze back to the paper as he continued to read. He was trying to find a cure for a cure, is such thing possible? I wondered deeply about why he wanted a cure, and yearned for when I could remember again. “Chris…” I paused as his gaze returned to me again.

“Yes?” He said slowly noticing the expression on my face being slow and deep in thought.

“I have some questions.” He put down the paper and sat forward, leaning his elbows on the table. My heart felt heavy with anticipation.  “What do you mean about finding a cure?” He searched my face briefly searching for an emotion.

“Well looking at the scientist’s papers they made a chemical which stops the injection working, so it’s not by chance that the particles don’t destroy the egg, but the chemical destroys the particles. I’m trying to find where they put the chemical…if we find out where they hid it then we can stop the cure, Ellie we can stop immortality and start it again…as mortals.” He looked at me for a second as his thoughts consumed him. For a moment I saw a flicker of hope and happiness in his face, before he looked at me again.

“Ellie…I’m not going to focus on that at the minute,” he said as he stood up from the worn-out chair. “You’re my main priority; right now…immortality can wait…what I want is my Anna back.” He walked over to a ripped sofa as he sat down and welcomed me to join him. “Ellie, I want to tell you our story…maybe that will bring you back to me.” His face was soft and pleading. “Ellie, I’m going to tell you our story; the story of how we met and our life together.”

I'm going to be uploading the next chapter very soon, this chapter is short as I am going to make the next one long (theoretically) as it will be the story of her life and wanted to get this part out of the way before I write the next chapter. Once again if something is unclear, message me and I'll be happy to help you out.